The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We started out with squash too . . .

but it quickly overflowed the skillet! ;)

This recipe got me going, but what actually happened was this:

1# ground chuck
1 small onion, diced
1/3 of a large yellow bell pepper, diced
1 medium-size zucchini, sliced/diced/whatever
1 cup snow peas (I halved these just to make it all more uniform in size.)
1 cup diced tomatoes (that recipe sez 1 c. (1 lb.), which is nonsense - a PINT (2 cups) is a pound! :rolleyes:)
1 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
big healthy scoop of sour cream
big handful of grated cheddar
salt to taste
tabasco to taste

I started the beef browning & just added everything else as I got it cut up . . . then plopped in the cream/cheese/seasonings & let it heat for a few minutes. I shoulda remembered your white wine, Bugg!

Served it right outta the skillet . . . I was not just ABOUT to start the oven with it 98° (36.67°) out!

And we hadda go out in it TWICE . . . took Fritz for grooming today & hadda go back & get 'im. But man does he look purty & boy does he smell good! :D First time & prob'ly the last, but he's steppin' out in style this weekend on our trip to Lincoln for little sister & hub's 25th anniversary party.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The recipe that got you going must be an antique 'cause I haven't seen one that calls for oleo in eons. Brings back memories of when Mom use to have us 4 kids take turns using a fork to mix the orange powder with the white stick of lard or whatever it was, to make oleo. That was when oleo first came into existence. Thanks for bringing that memory back to mind.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I made this this afternoon but couldn't find the peas, so ignored it and I did add 1/4 c. chardonnay and it is scrumptious! I like the wine's contribution...Thanks,Shanny!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see fresh snow peas very often either. When I found them at a little local market, I started buying them regularly so maybe they'll keep stocking them. We used to grow them in the garden years ago.

It's funny shopping with these sole proprietors . . . this particular store is the only place we find our s/f popcicles too. :D Our OTHER little local market (we live in the country between these two little towns) is the same way - there are other things we can only find there.

We give them all the trade we can . . . we really don't want to be found spending all our money at Walmart & have these local guys go out of business. That would be awful.

So I need to add a dry white wine, next time, eh?! I can do that!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
A bit more than I added would be even better. The wine in combination with the sour cream makes it really tasty. I love one dish meals!

Do post more if you have them. I live alone and hate many dirty dishes to deal with...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts