The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to this forum.

Okay, now that I have your attention . . . . As you have probably guessed, my title is untrue. Once you have the Big "D" there is no real getting rid of it and so far, no cures. However, after I was first diagnosed almost 4 years ago, I took my health really serious and with the help of a dietician, doctor and my own stubborness, I went from a BS reading of 342 down to the 80's and weaned myself off of all non-natural medications such as metformin, etc. (I was still taking vitamins & mineral supplements). In doing so, I also lost 70 Pounds and felt great! Then a little more than a year ago, due to extra responsibilities and lack of time, I fell off the bandwagon. In the past year I have come back almost to my starting point (although the blood sugar "only" went back up to 194) and gained back almost all of my weight. Two weeks ago, when I got that 194 reading (a day after my birthday), I went back into my fighting mode by re-started my real dieting and re-starting my exercise regiment. I also went back to re-blogging about my experiences as a diabetic on my website, which was also a mental way for helping me cope with everything. This time, I am also trying to branch out a little more and joined this community of like-inflicted people to see if it will both help me and if my previous experiences can help others.

Thanks and I look forward to being a part of this community.

IHaveDiabetes

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, and welcome aboard! You did an amazing thing with your reversal (that is what we call it here) four years ago! I am sure you know exactly what to do now, and youwill reverse your diabetes again. I am guessing you will not fall off the band wagon again.

Thanks for joining us. I hope you find our site useful and will join us in the discussions.

Richard

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome - glad to have you join us. We look forward also, to partnering with you in subduing this subversive "beast" again. It does make it easier when we help each other.

Sometimes I think it's having to be so constantly vigilant that wears us down - we just wish we could take a vacation from analyzing every mouthful and testing all the time. Sometimes we just plain burn out. Coming together in support groups like this can make the burden so much lighter. Thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the well wishes.

It's only been two weeks, but hopefully with a little more involvement with other "like me" from this forum, I can keep it going. I have also become involved with martial arts. Although I am a bit older than most of the other adults in my class, it seems to be providing a great workout and provides me also with additional support of my peers and instructors, and the belt advancement will help with my motivation to continue with my exercising.

As Shanny stated, you cannot fall asleep on the job and it is a constant vigilance to watch anything and everything - diabetes does not take a vacation, so we cannot either.

Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts