The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

As some of you have seen, my morning fasting BG is all over the map, ranging over the past couple weeks from 124 to 170. Conversely, my pre-bed number is a bit more consistent from 120-130.

Now I am familiar with the dawn phenomenon, and I’m not questioning that. Otoh…I’ve observed one correlation that may or may not be related: fish oil. I usually aim to take 4g of EPA and DHA a day to help control my triglycerides…but am not exactly perfect in that regard. Those days I miss it, my fasting BG the next morning is relatively high, while those days I take it result in a lower morning BG the following day.

Is this plausible, or is it coincidental like a lucky shirt?

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
This meta analysis, Fish oil and glycemic control in diabetes. A meta-analysis, indicates that fasting blood sugars for Type 2s tends to be borderline significant higher when taking fish oil but is significantly lower for Type 1s. It also indicates no significant change in A1c for either. Not sure of the total number in the studies it used, it says 26 studies with more than 5 diabetes patients, so probably not large, but at least 130 patients.

No significant changes in HbA1c percentages occurred in diabetic subjects treated with fish oil. Fasting blood glucose levels were increased with borderline significance in NIDDM subjects (0.43 mmol/l [95% CI, 0.00-0.87], P = 0.06) and were significantly lower in IDDM subjects (-1.86 mmol/l [95% CI, -3.1 to -0.61], P < 0.05).
Could anything else have been going on, on the days you missed? What caused you to miss?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can’t think of much else going on. My days are pretty consistent in terms of diet and exercise. I’ve been doing keto shakes for breakfast and lunch, and something low carb / high fat for dinner (omelettes, salads, etc) for the last two weeks now. Exercise is largely stationary cycling and walking, and that tends to happen after breakfast and lunch respectively.

As to what causes me to miss pills…morning craziness mostly. I pop em with the morning cup of’ sludge typically, but if the dog throws up, the kids are extra crazy, or the wife has 20 favors to ask…little details like my pills tend to fall through the cracks.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Maybe the stress from the event kicked up the BG and is reflected in next mornings fasting test????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys,

As some of you have seen, my morning fasting BG is all over the map, ranging over the past couple weeks from 124 to 170. Conversely, my pre-bed number is a bit more consistent from 120-130.

Now I am familiar with the dawn phenomenon, and I’m not questioning that. Otoh…I’ve observed one correlation that may or may not be related: fish oil. I usually aim to take 4g of EPA and DHA a day to help control my triglycerides…but am not exactly perfect in that regard. Those days I miss it, my fasting BG the next morning is relatively high, while those days I take it result in a lower morning BG the following day.

Is this plausible, or is it coincidental like a lucky shirt?
Hi Steve,
Fish oil helps reduce inflammation and helps with blood sugar metabolism, this is what I noticed with my patients. If you take blood thinners, be careful with the fish oil intake as this can further thin your blood.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Hi Arlene, welcome to the forum.

Could I get you to go over to our New Member Introductions, start a new thread, and tell us a little about yourself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My numbers are also high each morning, averaging 130 while during the day I maintain a 100-110 average with just diet. Last evening my test two hours after dinner was 101 and this morning I tested at 128.
I've tried a snack late night to see if this would help lower the morning number but that did nothing to alter the numbers. I can only think I'm subject to the "dawn phenomenon".

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
I've tried a snack late night to see if this would help lower the morning number but that did nothing to alter the numbers. I can only think I'm subject to the "dawn phenomenon".
fwiw it's the same for me. My morning fasting reading is almost always my highest for the day.

One thing that has helped me, though, is a snack a little before bedtime. I found that, for me, just making it a non-carb, non-protein snack helped. Protein (a little cheese or such) had no positive effect at all. I don't know what snacks you've had, but the type may make a difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
fwiw it's the same for me. My morning fasting reading is almost always my highest for the day.

One thing that has helped me, though, is a snack a little before bedtime. I found that, for me, just making it a non-carb, non-protein snack helped. Protein (a little cheese or such) had no positive effect at all. I don't know what snacks you've had, but the type may make a difference.
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts