The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here too.

Was diagnosed as Type 1 diabetic as a 15 year old back in 1989. Much has changed over the years with many improvements to diabetic care during that time. I personally do not believe that enough progress has been made in a company producing a simple blood testing kit that all diabetics can cope with easily.

I would like to see a simple battery operated touch sensitive button added to the various finger pricking devices. How many diabetics are similar to me and pull their finger away from the device too quickly with the current heavy handed buttons on the devices that are currently on the market I wonder?

Recently I have had the support of somebody who helps me with my testing, but I still know that I would not be doing anywhere near enough tests if simply left to fend for myself. I believe that the simple addition of a touch sensitive button on the finger pricking devices would allow me to have greater personal control without any help from friends & family.

I have had an awful summer cold for a week or so now and also moved house on Friday. With drinking too much and not eating enough this Sunday I had a big hypo in my sleep Monday morning and had the paramedics out :(

This morning my blood sugars had gone up to 22.3 mmols :( although back down to about 7 mmols now :)

Having a good daily routine is the key. I started having problems last summer after redundancy and the winding up of a business. Not having to get up and go to work each day is an awful routine for a 37 year old Type 1 diabetics health. Struggling with finances, suffering from colds, sickness bugs, stress, changes in exercise patterns and drinking habits all have a massive part to play in upsetting your diabetic control.

I ran a Half Marathon for Diabetes UK, which was cancelled due to bad weather in November 2010 and took place in March this year instead. I am wondering if my high blood sugar readings I have been getting are largely down to a big difference in my exercise pattern since I stopped training to run so much? I never altered my insulin doses ever really during the training process. I have also put all of the weight that I lost during training back on - approx 10 llbs.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't have to push any buttons at all. Just put the strip in and then poke my finger and test that simple. The only button that I push is on my lancet device. And no I don't have a problem with pulling away from it.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'm so extremely needle-phobic that at first I couldn't even touch the lancing device without wincing. I do know it can be difficult for people like us, however the trick is to get a lancing device that's more compatible for you.

I have an Accuchek multiclix because I don't have to touch the lancets. They come in a drum instead of individually and I find easy to deal with. When I use a new lancet each time, or almost every time, I find I barely feel the prick. That might be helpful for you in not recoiling.

There is also the OneTouch Delica which is supposed to be one of the gentlest pricks, with a tiny needle.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
At first, I pulled back a bit when lancing my finger but that's because my technique wasn't perfected at that point, lol. I used to press the lancing device (an Accuchek Multiclix, as Moon mentioned) hard to the side of my finger before pressing the button. I also didn't know about dialing down the depth of the needle and it was set to 6 (the deepest) by default. *sigh* Now I know better and usually lance at setting 3 which provides a good drop of blood without any pain. I also don't pull my finger away anymore but rather just take the cap of the Multiclix, hold it against my finger and press the button so quickly that I don't give myself the time to think about what I have just done. :)

I can completely understand you wish for an automatic touch-sensitive lancer for those with phobias about lancing their fingers. You are not alone as I have read of many people in the same boat. One member I recall vividly had such a huge phobia that he resorted to making small cuts on his arm to get blood for the sample. His arm looked horrible from the large number of small cuts on his arm yet that method didn't affect him as finger lancing did.

As for your levels, I think that you have undergone a number of changes that, combined, have all contributed to your elevated levels. You truly need to get your life under better control and that isn't always easy especially with limited finances and no job (if I understand that correctly, lol). Develop a routine for what you do each day and follow that routine. Include a diet regime that is geared to diabetics and an exercise program. Remember that controlling diabetes is a marathon in and of itself and it cannot get cancelled. If I ever come across an auto-lancer, I'll be sure to let you know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts