The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals, Dad just went for his check up, and doctor wants to lower his dosage of metaformin by half. Unfortunately, he just got his prescription filled prior to his appt., the pills are physically able to be cut in half, but the doctor didn't know if this would work because it is a "combination" drug. Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks

Jeanne

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Combination of what? If it's regular metformin, it can be cut in half. If it's the extended release version, it can NOT be cut in half.

If it's a combination of drugs, then it should have a different name, like Janumet, Glucovance or something - and it should say on the vial. If it says Glucophage, that's the brand name for metformin.

·
Registered
96 Posts
What does the pharmacist say ?

--ET

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Combination of what? If it's regular metformin, it can be cut in half. If it's the extended release version, it can NOT be cut in half.

If it's a combination of drugs, then it should have a different name, like Janumet, Glucovance or something - and it should say on the vial. If it says Glucophage, that's the brand name for metformin.
Don't know the difference, but I know he takes it morning and evening. I will ask him to check the bottle. His doctor just told him that it was a "combination drug"

Why can one be cut in half and one not?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Dad is on the glucovance., but the parmacist said he could cut it in half

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Dad is on the glucovance., but the parmacist said he could cut it in half
Glucovance is a combo drug of Glyburide and Glucophage (just so you know) :) I took it for years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts