The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this month I am scheduled for additional Diabetes classes. I have to pay $55 for my co-pay for each class and I have to be there for 3 hrs each for four classes. On top of that I have follow ups w the doc.

So last month I attended the first 2 classes followed instruction to the T and my levels were still coming out high...130-160

I found this forum took everyone advice n started the high fat low carb diet n my sugars r more leveled out... 89-135 (they seem to be higher in the morning while fasting)?

So, with that said should I attend these classes an listen to instruction I prob won't follow if it's anything like the first classes OR should I go because from experience it's worth it?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
.... not to the people who produce those courses!

And, how much did your insurance company pay THEM? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I met with 2 CDEs after my dx. The first set me up with my meter, gave me questionable quick advice (eat popcorn for snacks, etc), and set me up with a nutritionist.

The 2nd CDE is the one who conducts the series of educational classes, and I asked for a 1-on-1 with her to mutually determine if the classes would be beneficial (insurance paid 100% if I chose.) I was about a month in after dx, had landed here and gotten awesome advice, brought my crazy blood sugar down significantly, and was armed with reasonably intelligent questions.

We met for about 1.5 hours. She was impressed with my numbers, told me I should be eating 185 carbs/day, and went over the subjects she covered in the I think 6 2-hour classes. We both determined the classes would be redundant for me, or not applicable to the way I was choosing to manage my diabetes.

You could call as I did, maybe have a short phone convo to learn more, and then decide.

Reactions: d33na and foxl

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
foxl said:
.... not to the people who produce those courses!

And, how much did your insurance company pay THEM? :confused::confused::confused:
When I get the summary of services if shows for visits they cover $20 and for the classes $45... But every time I go it's $55... It really adds up 😡

So for the doc visits they're getting $75 n classes $100

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I paid nothing and regretted wasting the time. I suppose realistically, they would have to pay ME about $40/hour and I might consider sitting there.

More importantly, I feel we as a group need to avoid any funding going to these entities until they start telling us the truth. Sort of a constructive "boycott" if you will.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smorgan said:
I paid nothing and regretted wasting the time. I suppose realistically, they would have to pay ME about $40/hour and I might consider sitting there.

More importantly, I feel we as a group need to avoid any funding going to these entities until they start telling us the truth. Sort of a constructive "boycott" if you will.
Thank you for sharing that. After the first classes I had regret going because the money could have gone toward my Meds or purchasing more strips... Lesson learned

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Reverie...these classes for people who have discovered "the truth" and "the way" to deal with Type 2 (and Type 1 for that matter) diabetes find no usefulness in theses nutrition classes. What they tell you to eat will keep your numbers high unless they are instructing LC/HF diet. I wasted a whole afternoon by going to see a CNP (certified nurse practitioner) at the Cleveland Clinic's Diabetes Center and was told to eat 45grams of carb with each meal (135 grams a day) and to eat whole grains, brown rice, wheat pasta, etc. I know for a fact I cannot eat these things because they spike me. So it was really a waste of time and a hassle just getting there and getting back from there. So, I will not do that again! I have learned more and found this forum to be much more educational and informative with things that ACTUALLY work for me than to listen to these so-called "diabetes instructors". Besides, they take the attitude of "one-size-fits-all" in a diabetic diet, and as you have seen here, every diabetic is different. So save your money and use it on things you really need, like those test strips and foods that will help you eat healthy and live a nice long, uncomplicated life!

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
naynay said:
Reverie...these classes for people who have discovered "the truth" and "the way" to deal with Type 2 (and Type 1 for that matter) diabetes find no usefulness in theses nutrition classes. What they tell you to eat will keep your numbers high unless they are instructing LC/HF diet. I wasted a whole afternoon by going to see a CNP (certified nurse practitioner) at the Cleveland Clinic's Diabetes Center and was told to eat 45grams of carb with each meal (135 grams a day) and to eat whole grains, brown rice, wheat pasta, etc. I know for a fact I cannot eat these things because they spike me. So it was really a waste of time and a hassle just getting there and getting back from there. So, I will not do that again! I have learned more and found this forum to be much more educational and informative with things that ACTUALLY work for me than to listen to these so-called "diabetes instructors". Besides, they take the attitude of "one-size-fits-all" in a diabetic diet, and as you have seen here, every diabetic is different. So save your money and use it on things you really need, like those test strips and foods that will help you eat healthy and live a nice long, uncomplicated life!
Thank you naynay... With what you've said and everything else I've read I've made up my mind. Gonna put my money to better use. 😉

Reactions: d33na and Shanny

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My insurance company didn't pay so I had to cough up the $60. The only good thing I got a free One touch meter and 50 strips but then they had to sign me up with CCS Medical to get the free meter/strips. I told the CDE it was a waste of time because with my lousy high deductible, I'm sure one of those mail order places wouldn't deal with me. Well, they called me anyway and I told them the same thing and sure enough they called back saying they wouldn't work with me until I hit my $6000 each year. I felt I taught my CDE more about certain healthy foods like flaxseed, greek yogurt and almond meal that she had never heard of. I felt like sending her a bill. I think whether you go to your follow up D education depends on how valuable your time is. If I knew I would get nothing out of it, I would avoid it. You bgs are coming down, that is great. The morning numbers are the last to budge. it took me upping my metformin to the maximum and cutting my carbs to 30-40 a day before I saw lower bgs in the morning.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thank you naynay... With what you've said and everything else I've read I've made up my mind. Gonna put my money to better use. 😉
Good for you! The more I think about the horrible information that is being fed to people with diabetes, the angrier I get :mad: I am starting to feel as if a conspiracy is going on in this country of ours, and I can't believe someone in the higher ranks isn't doing something about it!:(

"

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good for you! The more I think about the horrible information that is being fed to people with diabetes, the angrier I get :mad: I am starting to feel as if a conspiracy is going on in this country of ours, and I can't believe someone in the higher ranks isn't doing something about it!:(
Because the higher the rank, the more money the lobbyists throw at it. How do you think these people keep getting hired/elected term after term? Drug money, and not the illegal kind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts