The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have done varying amounts of carbs over the past 4 years. I get the best control of my bgs and weight around 35-50 carbs per day. Also our bodies seem to process carbs better at some times of the day. Mornings are tough for me especially if I wake up high. Today I woke up high (125) so I just ate nuts and some leftover sausage for breakfast. If I wake up in the 80's then I will be able to eat a few more carbs. This is what is called eating to your meter. Let your body tell you what is best for you. I know some diabetics that can eat 30-40 carbs a meal and still be in the 120-140 range after meals. Many of us in the beginning will keep a food and bg journal. Record everything you eat and the bgs you get after meals. Pretty soon you will see what works for you. A lot of times dieticians scare us into thinking we need a certain amount of carbs to function. As said I do fairly low carb and function very well. When you do low carbs your body burns fat, that is why we lose weight. I count carbs but not calories. I probably eat 2000 or more calories with most of it being some form of fat or protein.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.