The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well Hello, Dave! Welcome to our forum. C'mon in & make yourself comfortable! Thank you for joining us.

:welcome:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Dave, this is a great place, glad to have you aboard.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Welcome Dave! Glad to have you join us!

Cheers,

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: Dave!

G

·
welcome Dave :) I'm type 2 on full time insulin. I'm sure you've plenty of experience to share with all of us. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Dave3432 said:
Hi jermery u only been diabetic for a while how are u coping are u type 1 insulin
Hi Dave! Yes, I was diagnosed just this last Feb with type 1. Actually, I was first diagnosed by my general practitioner as type 2 as she only really looked at my A1C level (15.4), but once I met with my diabetes educator (who is also type 1) and my Endocrinologist (who is also type 1), they did the appropriate tests and found I was type 1 rather than type 2 and needed to go on insulin.

I am coping well I think. I am generally a positive person and try to keep a good outlook on things. I think the biggest challenge for me is that I travel a great deal for work, zig zagging across the US, so it has taken some adjustment in terms of eating on the road, meals with my clients, timing of my insulin, etc. I am going to a pump in May, so I look forward to that as it should assist with my insulin administration.

The other thing that is difficult for me, which I am learning to embrace, is that diabetes takes up quite a bit of my mental bandwidth. Meaning, I have a family with 4 children, I manage multiple accounts for my company with over 200 employees spread worldwide and yet diabetes is what is on my mind more often than not. I need to test, I need to eat, I need to take insulin, I feel shaky (low), I feel overly thirsty (high), etc.

With all that said, I have lost weight and I feel pretty positive about myself. Besides diabetes, my health is great. As things become even more routine, I am sure I will adjust. I look to people like Richard on this forum, who has had diabetes for 65 years or so as an inspiration. My five year old nephew has type 1 as well, so it makes me realize how fortunate I was to not have to deal with it as a child.

Ok, well that was allot to type on my iPhone, so enough about me!

Cheers,

Jeremy

G

·
The other thing that is difficult for me, which I am learning to embrace, is that diabetes takes up quite a bit of my mental bandwidth.
Yes, I find the same Jeremy... and I hate it. I'm a Team Leader at my work and look after staff and have lots of things going on there. But I was just saying to a friend of mine yesterday that I'm sick of my health being my main focus and taking up my brain space, time, and money... especially because I recently got diagnosed with another chronic disease. I'm on drug trial, etc. I'm normally a positive person too... but sometimes I think that poor health can bring out the worst in you and it's quite draining. I spent my easter weekend totally exhausted and crashed several times (needed to sleep)... I had some weird psych espisode yesterday and I'm contacting my doc immediately about this drug I'm on... I'm not putting up with anything that alters my brain chemistry like that... scary! (yes I got suicidal suddenly... but my head & face had pins & needles at the same time which made me recognise it was the drug) I'm off to work now... staying positive (and I didn't take that drug this morning... no way) :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts