The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thing every morning I wash my hands under as hot of water as I can stand along with dish washing det that happens to be by the sink. Well we recently bought a new kind, Dawn with bleach alternative, no perfumes or dyes. Come to find out that you get at least a 5-10 pt false positive no matter how much you rinse your hands. This morning 92, alcohol rinse dry, 85. For the last 4-5 days I've repeated this every morning, FBG and predinner FBG same results. Just a heads up. Back to Ivory soap for me.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I like to buy some of the Spa type liquid soaps at Body & Bath, I find the same thing with the Sleep, Awake, Lavender and Stress Relief. So I have started washing my hands in plain water, no soap before a bg test.

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I remember once I was spreading some grass seed that was coated with some fertilizer. I washed my hands really well when I came in and then tested my bg. I was surprised to see my meter say 24. I knew there was no way I could be that low. So I scrubbed my hands with plain water for a few minutes and got a 110. So sometimes if there is any chemical residue on your finger it will mess up the reading.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I never would have realized this could happen with different soaps. I will be going back to hand soap as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You could try wiping off the first drop of blood and squeeze out some more for testing.

Last week I had some lotion residue on my fingers and my meter said "130" but I felt really low. Washed my hands with regular soap and water and voila: 50 something ;)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
50 something IS really low. Do you often get hypo's that low? My lowest has been 37 and I felt like something the cat dragged in from outside.

·
Registered
253 Posts
50 is low enough that I'll eat something like a kiwi, but to me that is just a very mild low. I've measured my own bg in the low 20s a few times, and in the teens 3 times. Those were all years ago. Mostly I'm not in that area these days.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It happens. About once every two weeks...I guess it is the price you have to pay for near-normal blood sugars.
As long as I notice it I'm OK with it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
if i get into the 50s iam hospital bound per my doctor but i have had a triple by-pass and a life threating stroke for which i spent 2 week in intensive care and 2 more weeks in hospital so i guess she (my doctor) is just being careful

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It happens. About once every two weeks...I guess it is the price you have to pay for near-normal blood sugars.
As long as I notice it I'm OK with it.
I think the 'key' here is "as long as I notice it I'm OK with it". Just be really careful, as I'm sure you are, because sometimes the lows sort of sneak up on us and then we are not lucky at all.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
if i get into the 50s iam hospital bound per my doctor but i have had a triple by-pass and a life threating stroke for which i spent 2 week in intensive care and 2 more weeks in hospital so i guess she (my doctor) is just being careful
In your case, I would want to be extra careful too. Have you or your Doctor considered a continuous glucose monitor for you? I don't know what your financial considerations are, as some insurance companies will not pay for them, but they are very useful. I have multiple medical conditions and my insurance won't pay for the CGMS.

However I have hypo unawareness, meaning my blood sugar can drop and I get no symptoms, so I have a Dexcom CGM. It might be something that you could discuss with your Doctor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Strawberry said:
In your case, I would want to be extra careful too. Have you or your Doctor considered a continuous glucose monitor for you? I don't know what your financial considerations are, as some insurance companies will not pay for them, but they are very useful. I have multiple medical conditions and my insurance won't pay for the CGMS.

However I have hypo unawareness, meaning my blood sugar can drop and I get no symptoms, so I have a Dexcom CGM. It might be something that you could discuss with your Doctor.
[Wait. I thought the Dexcom was a CGMS?] edit: forget this. I'm an idiot lol

I was at 40 once, right after dinner and if I hadn't tested (for no apparent reason lol) I would not have noticed it.
I felt absolutely nothing.

That scared me a lot more than waking up in the 30s drenched in sweat & shaking!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts