The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has always been my biggest problem... Even when my diabetes was under tight control.

I was wondering... anyone got rid of DP? Or what did you do to make it somewhat better? Can it be 'cured'?

Thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Not sure about cured, but mine has gone down about 20 pts by cutting back my caffeine intake.

DP is all about the adrenal gland -- anything you do to lower adrenal secretion of cortisol is helpful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This has always been my biggest problem... Even when my diabetes was under tight control.

I was wondering... anyone got rid of DP? Or what did you do to make it somewhat better? Can it be 'cured'?

Thanks for your feedback!
Scarlet,

You could switch to an insulin pump. I've only been on one for 4 mos. but I am surprised that morning BGs of 200+ are becoming increasingly rare. Go back a few years and I was getting morning BGs of 250 almost daily, even with a1cs below 7.0. Of course there's a lot involved with switching to the pump, but if you want to make the adjustment and your insurance goes along with it, I recommend it.

Henry

·
Registered
633 Posts
It is not something that needs to be cured, They body does that to wake us up in the morning and give us the energy we need. Thats not the part that is broken so why would you want to fix it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is not something that needs to be cured, They body does that to wake us up in the morning and give us the energy we need. Thats not the part that is broken so why would you want to fix it.
I was told times and times again that the best indicator of your overall control of diabetes is... fasting blood glucose!

Once I got my A1C down to 6.1 (it was 8.9 three months earlier!) but my doctor gave me heck because my fasting glucose was above 8 (144). I wanted to pull all my hair out. I still do when I low carb and exercise and still... that stupid DP kicks in. I wish I coud kick it back :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish my doctor had diabetes too! Maybe he'd be more understanding and knowledgeable...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Do an experiment and wake up a couple hours earlier and take bg. Eventually with a lot of bg tests you will see when the DP starts to kick in. I normally wake up 6:45-7:30 am and test and it is usually in the low 100's. Today for some reason I got up at 6 and it was 94. I don't think it can be cured because it is a natural phenomenom. The reason it spikes some people quite high is because they are usually insulin insufficient and when their hormones signal liver to raise bgs, there is not enough insulin on board to deal with it. Some find the insulin pump is the best answer because you can figure out when you spike and program pump to add more insulin. Some people experiment with the timing and dose of long acting insulin to deal with the DP spike. I find going on a low carb diet and using the maximum amount of metformin has helped me control my DP spike.

Reactions: canadiandude

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
No telling why the docs insist that fastings are the best "barometer" for monitoring our diabetes - prob'ly because they were taught it by the previous generation of docs who believed it just as vociferously - but if they actually had diabetes themselves, they'd soon realize that our postprandials are a much better gauge. If we eat a meal & our bgl shoots over the moon - that's a fast & certain sign that we aren't processing carbs like we should. I'm not sure WHAT the fastings tell them, but it's a red herring!

I think if you try Jeanne's suggestion to get up earlier & test, you'll discover the same as I found - you're lower at the earlier hours. Once I got that straight, and as long as my A1c keeps dropping, I try to shrug off the stupid DP.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks to all of you who posted! You made me feel better!!! :)

I did test at different times during the night (a while back) and found out DP starts around 3 am in my case. I can go from 5 (90) to 13 (234) between 3 am and 6 am, the time I usually get up. Incredible, isn't it?

In my mind the A1C is the best indicator of how well (or not) you're doing. My doctor says DP is an urban legend and that if you're eating right and taking your meds, it should reflect positively on your fasting glucose, end of story. When you're told this over and over you start believing you're just not good enough, you just don't try hard enough, and you will never see improvement either.

Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
In my mind the A1C is the best indicator of how well (or not) you're doing. My doctor says DP is an urban legend and that if you're eating right and taking your meds, it should reflect positively on your fasting glucose, end of story. When you're told this over and over you start believing you're just not good enough, you just don't try hard enough, and you will never see improvement either.
YES, indeed. One reason I was insistent on antibody testing ... BEFORE my DP peak began broadening. In my case, no matter what I did without insulin, that peak broadened and broadened, even before my post-meal numbers went into the terlet.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Scarlet my DP comes on much later than yours and is usually after I wake up around 7:30-8:00am. So I do have the advantage to curb mine before it gets going. But I have found out certain things about mine that may help you. I got enough insulin to combat the DP just had a bad signaling problem. The communication between my stomach, liver, pancreas was poor to non existent. Some things you cant take to improve signaling are Dandelion Root (chlorogenic acid), Milk Thistle, and just plain chlorogenic acid. Chlorogenic acid helps in the release of GLP-1 which your body uses as a signal to turn on your insulin and for your liver to slow down its glucose. This may sound odd to some, but I determined my insulin store was adequate by consuming sugar in the morning along with art sweetener. Your body can not tell the difference between art sweetener and sugar when mixed together. So what it did was give me a big GLP-1 release with a very small amount of carbs. So every morning now I drink a cup of coffee with 4g of sugar, 4 packets of art sweetener, heavy cream, coconut oil. I get a 10-15 pt rise with in 10-15 minutes and then fall back to the 80's with 30 minutes. It really sets up my whole day as far as my BG goes. Wouldn't leave home with out it.

The next thing I did which had a positive impact was the Asprin therapy. I started out on 1- 325mg pills 3 times a day, worked my way up to 6/325mg a day then back down to 3-4 a day now.

Also if you hadn't done it yet it would advantagious for you to get all of your hormones checked. Preferably a 24hr saliva test along with blood tests will give you the best results. Out of balance hormones will play havoc on your BG levels. I am currently on testosterone shots which had another positive impact on my BG levels.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all of you who posted! You made me feel better!!! :)

I did test at different times during the night (a while back) and found out DP starts around 3 am in my case. I can go from 5 (90) to 13 (234) between 3 am and 6 am, the time I usually get up. Incredible, isn't it?

Thanks again! :)

Reactions: rpbaum00

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again, and again, thank you so much everyone for trying to help me! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts