The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so frustrated! This is the closest I have been to coming back in control in a long time...and my stupid AM blood sugars are killing me!
We have increased my Lantus, plus he has me splitting the dose every 12 hours thinking it might carry me better at night. But...still no good. Last night after dinner I was 136. I didnt check it before I went to bed because I fell asleep on the sofa watching tv....but I woke up at 330 when hubby got home from work...checked it and it was 130. Went back to sleep...got up at 730 and it was 190 :(

I am at my wits end *sigh* Now as soon as I took my AM dose of Lantus, took my Humalog and Metformin....had a breakfast of 25 carbs...it went down to 115. I sure hope the pump is going to help this before I pull all my hair out :)

*kicks her stupid liver for dumping glucose for no good reason*

ok...rant over....I feel better now :)

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I used to keep beef sticks by my bed so if I woke up in the night & was acting like I might go higher, I'd eat a beef stick to signal my liver that its help was neither wanted nor needed! :mad:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Your liver is really dumping on you. I went through the same phase. I was on NPH and my FBS was always 175+. I changed to Lantus and started at 60 units at bedtime. This still did not do the trick, so my doctor had me increase my Lantus by 2 units every 3 days until my FBS was under 120. It took about 2 1/2 months to get to the 120 mark. I am insulin resistant and a low dose of Lantus wasn't helping me. I am on 84 units of Lantus at bedtime and now my FBS is under 80. I also take Actos & Glucotrol XL, I am sure these 2 meds help out! Hopefully, a pump will help you.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to keep beef sticks by my bed so if I woke up in the night & was acting like I might go higher, I'd eat a beef stick to signal my liver that its help was neither wanted nor needed! :mad:
Thats a good idea....I might try that. I need something to convince my liver that I really dont need its "help" right now!

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your liver is really dumping on you. I went through the same phase. I was on NPH and my FBS was always 175+. I changed to Lantus and started at 60 units at bedtime. This still did not do the trick, so my doctor had me increase my Lantus by 2 units every 3 days until my FBS was under 120. It took about 2 1/2 months to get to the 120 mark. I am insulin resistant and a low dose of Lantus wasn't helping me. I am on 84 units of Lantus at bedtime and now my FBS is under 80. I also take Actos & Glucotrol XL, I am sure these 2 meds help out! Hopefully, a pump will help you.
I am really hoping so. I take 80 of Lantus daily now. I also take Humalog 30 before meals plus sliding scale if I need it, and metformin 1000 twice a day. The daytime sugars have gotten better to the point that sometimes I do not even require the entire 30 of humalog anymore. We tried for me to take the Lantus at night....take in the morning...finally now I am taking 40 in the morning and 40 at night. It has gotten better...meaning I am at least under 200...but still not good *sigh* Atleast it comes down faster now after the morning meal. A couple of months ago I was chasing it all day trying to get it back down to "normal".

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok...going to bed...blood sugar is 104. I am going to try the protein thing. I had a piece of lo carb toast with a bit of peanut butter. Here is keeping my fingers crossed for in the morning. *shakes her stupid liver one more time for good measure*

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok...going to bed...blood sugar is 104. I am going to try the protein thing. I had a piece of lo carb toast with a bit of peanut butter. Here is keeping my fingers crossed for in the morning. *shakes her stupid liver one more time for good measure*

Cheers
Pam

Ok...178 this morning. There is obviously no way for me to fix this I am just going to have to learn to live with it :(

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This is so far out of my range of experience . . . I wish I could wave a magic wand for you because I sure don't know any tried & true methods for defeating this. I have read where a coupla spoonfuls of cider vinegar at bedtime can sometimes help - if you're a pickle person, that might be an option. Or whole flaxseed meal. Glass of red wine . . . anything to distract your liver from noticing you're sleeping - not eating!

But do try the beef sticks thing for the times you DO wake up in the night & get a decent reading.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I have to go to the grocery store today and will pick some up :) Thanks!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Woah...I think I may have caught it this time! I fell asleep on the soa watching tv (again!) so I didnt test before I went sleep. My hubby tried to wake me up to go to bed and I just didnt want to get up. He went off to bed and dragged myself up about 30 minutes later to go to bed. When I stopped for a potty break I noticed I was feeling really bad. Shaky and not well at all. I thought I might be high since I had a small cup of broccoli cheese soup and a 6inch Subway BLT for dinner, so I checked my BS. It was only 70. I realize thats normal for most people but I have been high for so long my body felt very hypo. I just ate an apple and will check it again in an hour before I go back to sleep. Wonder if thats been happening earlier in the night and thats why I havent caught it before. Something to consider...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
So how were you doing this morning after the apple? I hope it prevented that nasty liver dump without taking you too high along with it. Darn this is a tightrope we walk, isn't it?!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So how were you doing this morning after the apple? I hope it prevented that nasty liver dump without taking you too high along with it. Darn this is a tightrope we walk, isn't it?!
It was only 130. I realize thats still high....but for me thats awesome! I was excited to see it! Its *much* better than the 180-200 I have been having :)

*tries talking nice to her liver and see if that helps*

Cheers
Pam

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I agree . . . 130 may be the apex of my target range, but it's still within range! heheh!

Yea! I'm glad you caught it last night - keep on keepin' on!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dawn Phenomenon

I am not on insulin (yet) but my BS is always around 180-200 every morning when I get up, which is usually between 7 & 8.

I'm taking 1000 mg of Metformin 3 x day & 10 mg of Glipizide. The meds & exercise are keeping my BS under control all day. It's mornings that are getting me.

Any suggestions about how to fix this? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Hope, welcome to Diabetes Forum. Some diabetics eat a high protein snack at bedtime. The protein tends to keep the liver from dumping carbs into your system in the middle of the night. It is that liver dump that causes DP. DP stands for "Dawn Phenomenon" and accounts for the high blood sugar we see in the mornings. I take care of mine with insulin. It is more difficult with type 2 meds. Some type 2 diabetics take a larger dose of Metformin at bedtime. There are also supplements that can be used. Try the protein snack and see if it helps.

Richard

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Hope! Many of us battle dawn phenomenon, and we aren't always completely successful, but it's a major aggravation to have that fasting reading be the highest of your day!

Richard has made some good suggestions . . . a protein snack at bedtime, or a glass of red wine. Supplements like cider vinegar capsules.

Are you testing as soon as you wake up, or is there a little lag time? If I lie in bed for half an hour, I'll usually test higher than if I test the minute I wake up. If I get a nice low reading the minute I wake up, then I quickly have a bite or two of protein (beef sticks on the nightstand!) to send my liver a memo that it doesn't need to intervene.

Lately I'm just getting up when I wake up (much as I hate to! :rolleyes:) & am still seeing higher readings, but nothing astronomical.

Thank you for joining us and please keep us updated on your progress.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am getting hit with the DP about every four days. One morning my blood glucose is 50-60, the next thing I know I am in the 90's. I would rather have something more consistent. If only we had a magic button that we could push and eliminate the liver dumping. I guess a pump would help-too bad the pumps cost so much. An affordable continuous monitor would be nice too! :) Dreaming is free :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I am not on insulin (yet) but my BS is always around 180-200 every morning when I get up, which is usually between 7 & 8.

I'm taking 1000 mg of Metformin 3 x day & 10 mg of Glipizide. The meds & exercise are keeping my BS under control all day. It's mornings that are getting me.

Any suggestions about how to fix this? Thanks.
Welcome Hope! So glad that you found us! Looks like you have already gotten some good advice. I hope you can find time to visit often.

·
Registered
1 Posts
lower your carb intake....

Welcome Hope! So glad that you found us! Looks like you have already gotten some good advice. I hope you can find time to visit often.
Try lowering your carb intake to <50g/day. Don't eat for 3-4 hours before bed. Most importantly, measure each 60 minute postprandial spike, if it is > 140, hit the stairs or incline treadmill. Do 1.5-3' minute impulse of muscle contraction, rest, repeat until blood sugar is <120 @ 2 hour post meal. You must contain the post meal high, or your liver will continue to pump out the sugar and make your fasting bg high like that. Only by suppressing each post meal high (and this will make you feel great too!) will you fully get your bg's under control.

Be slow at 1st since you are on a drug that increases insulin -- be aware not to over do and go too low, although the short impulses should be safe. My method called PIMT: Postprandial Impulse Muscle Training -- muscling diabetes (copyright).

Insulin increasing drugs often cause weight gain. This method strongly controls cravings, will prevent weight regain. Do a couple of these impulses also before bed. Doing all these things might take 30 days to get your fastings always < 125, be patient and keep going. You are "muscling" your way out of diabetes, but remember you're trying to overcome damage that took years, so give your body time to adjust.

Never exercise before a meal -- your liver will put more sugar into your blood that will then add to the post meal high.

Takes some testing to get used to, U.S. Diagnostics sells cheap strips. :) Good Luck, let me know how you do! (By the way, I eat dark chocolate after most meals -- just don't over do. You now have a way to "pay" for what you eat.)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
That was a very good post Kathleen! Welcome to our community.

Richard

1 - 20 of 25 Posts