The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 53 y/o very active male. 6 ft, 165lb. I compete alot in endurance events and completed Ironman Canada last year in 12.5 hours, so I am pretty fit. I also try to follow a low glyc eating program.

Over the past years I have seen my fasting blood glucose tests steadily rise from the low 90s to 99 last year on my annual physicials. This slight rise has also coincided with my increased training and athleticism. This year my level was 109 and kicked out as high on the report.

This seemed odd to me as I am fitter and following a better diet program than I ever have. In order to track what is going on I got a glucose monitor and started taking levels at different times. In testing over the past couple of days I have found that a fasting level taken when I wake up before any real exertion is between 100 and 114. From that point on however my levels always seem normal. Before meals they are usually under 90, and 2 hours after meals they are still under 90. The only levels I ever get that are above 100 are in the early morning. The mid day tests I have taken have been after only normal activity - I have an administrative job and am only physically active when I work out.

Can anyone clue me in as to why my levels are high in the morning? (I did take a 3 AM reading this morning at it was 110. Just before breakfast however it was down below 90 again - I had been moving around the house alot but was not exercising, etc, which would have brought the levels down). I have read up some on the Dawn Phenomenon and at first wondered if this is what I am experiencing, however the fact that my levels afterward always seem very normal, I am not sure how concerned, if at all I should be.

I also wonder if my readings are somehow releated to higher levels of exercise, etc.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dawn Phenonomon

I may have posted this on the wrong thread. I have moved it to the Diabetes symptoms section.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Granted!!!

I may have posted this on the wrong thread. I have moved it to the Diabetes symptoms section.

I have done some cleaning up and moved your thread here and Welcome to DF. I hope that you will enjoy your stay here. :D
This is interesting to see that a fit person like you to test and see that a stable readings before & after a meal as for many of us struggle to see a perfect 6 / 108 number. Have you been diagnosed a diabetic?

We can lern a lot from you. ;):D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not been diagnosed, and suspect that at worse I am a pre-diabetic who is relatively well controlled by my good diet and all the exercise that I do. In looking through some of the other posts I can see that my morning numbers are still very low compared to what others are dealing with.

I will be seeing a sports MD that I see once a year and will be getting her opinion as to the possible effects of the training on the Dawn effect Will report back for anyone who may be interested.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have not been diagnosed, and suspect that at worse I am a pre-diabetic who is relatively well controlled by my good diet
WOW That's surprising, As the morning phenomenon is a big subject amongst diabetics and that's not a siptoem rather a problem that we get and because of that, Many people go without breakfast which is a shame as I think the most important meal of the day!! ;)

I will be seeing a sports MD that I see once a year and will be getting her opinion as to the possible effects of the training on the Dawn effect Will report back for anyone who may be interested.
Aww Please do! I often wonder what would BG movements be like in a non diabetic. :confused::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi JSCOTTH,
I am concerned I am inevitably going to be pre-diabetic since both my parents have Type 2 diabetes in their 60s. Interesting about your glucose increasing in the middle of the night to early am. For curiosity's sake, I was once put on a continuous glucose monitoring system - it is a sensor I wore for 3 days that monitored my sugars constantly, but I could not see the readings. While I wore it, I logged everything I did from everything I ate/drank to exercise. After 3 days, my results were downloaded on a graph. Interestingly, on one of the nights, the same result happened to me as it happened for you - high glucose around 3 am to early am, then back to normal. I didn't know what it was and I asked the nurse to tell me why. She mentioned that in my diary, I wrote that I had some wine the night before, which can temporarily mess with my liver functioning correctly. As a result, my liver let out some of my stored glucose thinking I was going low in the middle of the night, so this explains the higher sugar.

I am not going to assume you drink, but I wanted to share my experience as a possible explanation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts