The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Congrats for your first day of quitting... I am trying so hard here!!

Good on you and keep it up!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JT, I'm working it. I have too, I have 2 smalls kids and it's not fair on them, oh yeah, and for me too.

The hardest part is that I have given up all my "Vices" in life, eg. Sweets, chips, alcohol and this is the one I hung onto.

Everyone needs a vice, I just have to find new one.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Congratulations! I quit 30 years ago and am grateful to have it behind me. I had serious physiological withdrawal, bad enough I knew I would never light another butt in my life. I lived with my mom who could be a "casual" smoker, but I could not. I hid it from her for 3 days, that I had quit. It was hard.

I drank a lot of (vegetable) bouillion, coffee, and tea, and ate chocolate!

My "healthy vice," even now, is my daily or almost daily chocolate.

I melt in the microwave: 1/2 oz with a TBS of coconut oil, add 1 TBS splenda syrup, stir it up, add 1TBS cream, stick in the freezer until stiff or as long as I can bear to wait. It is like my reward for the rest of the day. You definitely need those rewards for not smoking, at least at first, too!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will try that one. That sounds yummy. I need a healthy vice for sure. Something so that I don't gain the "Stop Smoking Weight".

Reactions: Shanny and foxl

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Getting started with resolve is the hardest part.

There's something to be said for giving up most vices at the same time rather than having to sacrifice in dribs and drabs. Vice cold turkey! You can do it - I've faith in you.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, I appreciate that. I knew I had to quit but like you said, all at once would have been devastating. I might be blowing it a bit out of proportion. So after this step is down I basically have nothing but my loving wife and beautiful kids.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hope you're stronger today on day 2.

Best of luck!!

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Diabetes

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not good. I had 1 last night and 1 this morning, I failed. But.......no buts actually, even though I only had 1 this morning I didn't stick with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Well rats, but you're working on it. Success is not always a straight line.

Question: do you have cigarettes in the house that you were able to grab one last night and this morning? If not, and you went out and got a pack last night - maybe if this happens again you can dunk the other 19 in the pack in water and toss. So every time you buckle you have to go out, buy a pack, and pay all that $$$ for a single cigarette.

Reactions: Shanny and foxl

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem is...I'm rich! Just kidding, I like that idea, that is a great idea. I did go out and buy some. But I only brought 2 to work, one for the way into work and one for after work, I think that is a big step. I don't smoke at work at all.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
If memory serves me, I did one a day for a time ...

but it annoyed so much, I wanted to get quitting over with!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I am thinking that is what will happen too. Eventually I'll hate it and throw it away. I hope anyway!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Yeah, well don't feel like a failure. I'm still working on quitting over years now! I can give up all the carbs in the world, but for some reason taking away the cigs is probably the hardest thing I've ever come up against. I'd rather go through labor and delivery again! Don't give up hope PC. You will get there. I think the fact that you are surviving on a couple cigs a day right now is wonderful. I even bought one of those electronic cigarettes. Not the same. I'm rooting for you. The more people I see who can accomplish this, perhaps it will spur me even more to give up these damned cancer sticks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Naynay,

I debated the electronic cigarette but am not sure if I should or not. Would you say don't waste my money?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well rats, but you're working on it. Success is not always a straight line.

Question: do you have cigarettes in the house that you were able to grab one last night and this morning? If not, and you went out and got a pack last night - maybe if this happens again you can dunk the other 19 in the pack in water and toss. So every time you buckle you have to go out, buy a pack, and pay all that $$$ for a single cigarette.
The $$$ is the only reason I ever quit - I couldn't afford it after the first marriage failed. In those days a pack of generic had gone all the way up to 75¢ a pack, and I'd already given up my Winstons for generic, which were awful. I think my total annual income that year was something like $5,500. so I really didn't have money for smokes, or I'll prob'ly still be puffing away.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I never thought I'd be able to quit after trying time and time again to no avail. I used the patch, the gum, the tic-tac like pastelles and none worked. I just ended up smoking along with those things si I was getting tons of nicotine in me. I eventually got down to 6 smokes a day for all of the summer of 2010 but then reverted back to my 15 per day kick. That continued despite the difficulty berthing and extreme pain in my upper back and lower throat areas. Two weeks of enduring that led to the night when those pains showed themselves for what they truly were, a heart attack. I am so lucky to have survived it and while it was the combination of smoking, unchecked diabetes, no exercise and fast food eating all the time, I know now that smoking was a huge part of the equation. I quit the moment the ambulance attendant told me I was having a heart attack.

It's so difficult to quit. But, it's also not impossible. Know this....smoking a pack a day is the equivalent of carrying around an extra 80 lbs. (40kgs). If you need a vice, exercise is a great vice to have. Get hooked...addicted, breath in all that nasty fresh air and simply enjoy living. I do that now...every day. Don't wait until they are driving you, sirens blasting, to the hospital. Good luck and I truly mean that!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts