The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I enjoyed my meal, had seconds on a couple dishes, including the lemon ricotta pie, which I put over an almond crust and topped with whipped cream and it came out SO lovely ...

But, to eat all that, I bolused 5U Novolog before the meal, (was somehow at 135, from truly minor "tasting" while cooking). 2 hr post I was at 141 -- not bad -- but 5 hr post-meal I was at a whopping 171! )and that was at pie time. :mad:) So I bolused another 4U Novolog, and took 10 U of Levemir instead of my usual 8. Then at 1:30 am my husband woke me and I was at 99 ... this morning at 130, meh, not horrible, so I think I corrected properly. But I have never used NINE U Novolog before. Five is usually my "running with scissors" shot!

Coudla been worse -- so, how did you all do?;) Now I have only the minefield of leftovers to run through ...

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
2 giant plates of turkey, ham, green field peas (yum), green crowder beans, some sweet home made pickles. 1 hr 89, yea., FBG this morning 81, finally slept all night, I hate this creeping crude I got swimming around my head. Second round of antib, I hope this will do the trick.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ohhhh not too good for me. It got a little high that evening when everything finally started moving, ( I have to wait and catch it on the rise before I can correct it accurately) I corrected, it was fine later, before bed it was in the 90's. Checked sugar again about 3am it was in the 130 range...ok...I can handle that but when I got up again and checked around 6 it was 195!!.
Pretty high for me.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes me feel better, Amy, sadly. YEEESH. How many units of insulin did you use to get there?

And, aren't Marty's numbers gorgeous? WOW he is well-controlled!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
That makes me feel better, Amy, sadly. YEEESH. How many units of insulin did you use to get there?

And, aren't Marty's numbers gorgeous? WOW he is well-controlled!!!
Marty's doing Great! Good Job!

Me....I don't have anyone to blame but myself.
I usually don't need any fast acting in the evenings and most days none at all, 4 units if any, but yesterday had to take 6 units to counteract all the food AND the punkin' AND small slice of pecan pie.
This morning I took 4 units to get back to normal. I didn't change my Lantoos (as my Endo calls it lol) amount.
I've actually cut that back recently from 25 units to 20 because I've been doing so well.
Oh and I forgot to take my Metformin yesterday evening that may have contributed some to the prob.

·
Registered
370 Posts
125 this AM for me. Actually, I expected a lot worse.

Reactions: foxl

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
i actually wound up missing a meal yesterday. but i was able to eat twice throughout the day though

·
Registered
261 Posts
i actually wound up missing a meal yesterday. but i was able to eat twice throughout the day though
I only ate once yesterday but boy did I eat!
I nibbled throughout the morning on a piece of bacon here some sausage there just to keep the hunger at bay and so I could take my pills.
That's when I really mess up, when I let myself get too hungry.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I had lots of turkey and veggies, tiny dollops of plain sweet potatoes w/ butter, mashed potatoes and stuffing smothered in gravy, and a heapin' helpin' of Novolog. Topped out at 149. A sliver of Novolog with coffee for dessert, for a grand total of 22u ... which is why I don't cheat much.

Today's fasting was 85. Whew!

It feels good to get back to low-carb, no-Novolog.

Reactions: foxl and aimster1mo

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My last reading yesterday was 146, about two hours after I'd finally stopped eating - heheh! So I did pretty well except for just plain eating too MUCH, but we didn't have anything unusual either, except the pie, and I'd already gotten past that the night before with my little tasting party. :rolleyes:

Trouble is, I haven't tested yet this morning - our chimney sweep came & is just now finishing up - it doesn't take much to distract me. I didn't expect to be any higher than usual though, so I'll have some brunch here in a little bit & see where I am after that little meal settles.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I was 125 after dinner and 120 after pies, but then I had a final nighttime treat of a chocolate-walnut truffle and hot chocolate with Kahlua, and I topped out at 145, right before bed. This morning I was 105. So not great, but okay. I was happy that my total calories were "only" 1,820 -- unlike past Thanksgivings where I'm sure I've eaten 5,000+. :p

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I thought that I did better at first and then realized that somewhere along the way I screwed up. :D I had a single plate at each meal (went to both parents) with 4oz of turkey, a spoonful of green beans, some mashed cauliflower and a 1/2 tbsp of gravy. Then I had 1 piece of my own LC pumpkin pie at each party.

Was okay for a bit then the wheat in the green beans and gravy hit me. Threw up once, had rough abdominal spasms all night, bathroom trouble all day today, and my BG is running high, never coming down under 100.

I've been off all gluten because as a token of good will to my husband who has recently discovered that he's intolerant. I felt better but since so much has changed in my life recently, never chalked it up to gluten-free. I am not sure what else it could have been other than the gluten? Husband thinks we both should do a controlled test to be 100% sure that's what it is.

Oh well, hopefully my stomach will stop punishing me in a day or two and I can start planning for Christmas. :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yesterday, after Thanksgiving lunch and right before supper my BG was 166. Had leftovers for supper and before bed time it was 189.uuuggghhh. This morning it was 94...before lunch it was 96...before supper tonight it was 94. Had leftovers again so dread to see bedtime numbers.
I wonder if I am cking my BG at the right times. My doctor gives me a prescription for test strips.. It says 3 or 4 times a day. I have to beg him to do that. He says I really don't need to test that much but ilike it because it keeps me on my toes. I dare not ask him when to test because I try to lay low so he won't cut me back. Opinions needed....would it be better for me to be testing after I eat and not before?
I take 28 units of Lantus at 9pm.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was bad..very bad

Reactions: aimster1mo

·
Registered
249 Posts
We ate pretty well here since it was only hubby and myself. I cooked a turkey breast and some fixing for us. Sugar in the morning was 110. We ate early at 3 pm so by six I tested again, and it was at 125. We didn't over eat, which was great because we both felt much better just having one plate of food. Hubby is T2 as well as I am, but he also has to take insulin along with his metformin. So I am trying to get him to come along on the new diet plans that I am doing. It is hard for him, but he is working on it.

I hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving.:)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I had the most succulent prime rib ever, asked them to substitute broccolini for the potatoes, and the baby spinach w/ garlic and lemon was divine - could've eaten bowls of it. The bread looked and smelled amazing. After the meal, I snuck a piece off a friend's plate who had gotten more and it was still warm. Slathered it in butter and sighed from happy all the way home.

Nobody got turkey - lobster, filet mignon, prime rib, no turkey. I'm quite sure my liver is bursting at the seams from all the protein though ... it was a huge prime rib and I ate it all.

At home we had the fabulous LC pumpkin pie, more wine, then capped it off with a coffee keoke, except I was good, had 1/4 of one. I do miss liqueurs - I made them regularly from old family recipes and have a (now dusty) virtual distillery in the attic.

Didn't test last night, but this morning was 95.

Reactions: Shanny and Daytona

·
Registered
782 Posts
Leftovers are proving even more of a challenge than Thanksgiving itself. My dinner tonight? Three quarters of a full-fat, full-sugar pumpkin pie -- though I did skip the crust. My bg was 100 after the first half of the pie, and now, a couple hours after the other quarter of the pie, it's 94. I managed to keep yesterday's calories to 1820, and today's to 1730. So it could be worse. But three quarters of a pie? Really??

Reactions: Shanny and foxl

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I chose not to do 2 hour readings the past 2 days, I really didn't want to see the number, but both days I was 103 before bed and 102 and 103 the next morning. So I guess my body is working the way it is supposed to. I do think long walks both days really helped. We still have a few carb leftovers left and I will be so happy when they are gone. I did send the apple and pumpkin pie home with one of my sons to tempt him rather than me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts