The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess diabetes does not take a day off. I had been doing good. I was eating vegetables and baked chicken. So I thought I could have one day of relaxation with my family and enjoy what they eat again. Well I had bread sticks from a pizza joint. I was feeling sick when I got home. Glucose level was 525. I hate water but I got into my daughters bottles and drunk two full bottles of water! I was still thirsty. I just laid in bed the rest of the night trying not to move. Why cant we just have one day not to be sick when we want to eat like everyone else!:confused:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I guess diabetes does not take a day off. I had been doing good. I was eating vegetables and baked chicken. So I thought I could have one day of relaxation with my family and enjoy what they eat again. Well I had bread sticks from a pizza joint. I was feeling sick when I got home. Glucose level was 525. I hate water but I got into my daughters bottles and drunk two full bottles of water! I was still thirsty. I just laid in bed the rest of the night trying not to move. Why cant we just have one day not to be sick when we want to eat like everyone else!:confused:
Ditto on the feeling.

But maybe you could have just one bread stick. How many did you ;) ??

·
Registered
556 Posts
Some people can cheat once in a while and get by with it, but I tried it once and it took a week and a half to get my bg back where I want it. To me it isn't worth it, but I have found that I can occasionally take 1 or 2 bites of something that is forbidden and not shoot up my bg. Since that is all I can get, I'll take it.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Some people can cheat once in a while and get by with it, but I tried it once and it took a week and a half to get my bg back where I want it. To me it isn't worth it, but I have found that I can occasionally take 1 or 2 bites of something that is forbidden and not shoot up my bg. Since that is all I can get, I'll take it.
Yep that's the best approach !

I think when you eat loads of carb what happens is that part of the carbs become glucose and enters into the blood stream and shows on our meters. The body uses/discards this as per various processes

A part of the carbs get stored in the liver and glycogen and contributes as liver dumps over the next few days.

This is my opinion. I am not a doctor/scientist

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Wife who is a D as well went to pick up the Grandkids. She stopped at a quick shop and bought them some Reese cups. The bad part was she had no lunch and ate 7-8 of those small reese cups. We were to go out for dinner that night but she was so sick she couldn't get off the couch. I checked her BG, this was some 3-4 hours after she fessed up to eating them 185. The trip up and down was bad for her. I tell her, if you have such a strong desire to do this, let me get you some fast acting insulin. Problem with that is I would be the one doing the carb counting for her.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
This is why I like to use moderation. You could have had one pizza stick and some other lower carb foods, and you could have that kind of meal more often (keeping an eye on your total carb count). If you're restricting yourself too much by denying yourself ANY carbs, then you will probably have more occurrences like this. That's my two cents.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I know its a downer. I don't put myself in those places. I don't go to pizza joints or taco bells or any fast food.

My friends & famliy don't ask me to eat or cook foods I can't/won't have.

I have learned to say NO.. No Thanks..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also do that, or chew it for a little then spit it out. I mean, what I really want is the taste, food doesn't have to hit my stomach for me to enjoy it. I did that with one of those candy cane Kisses. My hair dresser gave me a bunch when I went in to get my hair done, and I've been eyeballing them all season. Well, I chewed that Kiss for all it was worth then spit it out in the sink. It was delicious!!

And my students were killing me on Wednesday with all their gifts: carmel corn (my favorite), hot chocolate mix, chocolate chip covered candy apple, and the twins made me four cupcakes: strawberry, lemon, gingerbread, and chocolate. The chocolate I didn't care about, but I couldn't resist a single bite of each of the other cupcakes. Heaven!!

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
What was your level before that spike ? 525 is a very very big jump. Did you recheck ? If my numbers are not in line with my expectations, I always wash my hands well, and retest.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
You might try adjusting your overall diet. It seems the way you eat when you're being "good" is leaving unfulfilled desires which cause the need to cheat. It sounds like your diet is dominated by protein, fiber & carbs (from the veggies) and little else. Satiety comes from fat.

If I ate only vegetables and baked chicken not only would my control be much less than it is now but I would surely break down after a while and engage in self-destructive behavior.

Now, if I ate some RIBS and some green vegetables and maybe some high-fat cheese on the side and other meals with this same macro-nutrient mix of approximately 10% of calories from carbs, 15% from protein and the rest from fat, those problems would disappear.

I'm so satiated after eating that I rarely have even the faintest desire to snack between meals and the closest I ever get to "cheating" is maybe half a cubic inch of some bread or other thing I don't usually eat - and I get away with it just fine.

Reactions: John.in.France

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'd love a day off. Especially now, at Christmas, with goodies everywhere. Instead, I took a minute off tonight (Christmas Eve) and ate a single cake ball. Since it was only one, I think I'll be okay. I tested at an hour and was 96.

I'm nervous about tomorrow while we're opening presents and will basically be served a series of hors d'ouvres and pastries instead of a proper breakfast and lunch. I'm also nervous about dinner, especially the sticky toffee pudding my daughter made for dessert. How I'd love to be D-free for Christmas Day. But if I forget reality, I'll pay. I'll pay.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
WV Mom, unless you think you'd start eating out of control, allowing yourself a few bites of the treats won't hurt, especially since you're being diligent about measuring! If you totally deprive yourself you might snap and eat the whole pudding yourself! ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
If I want a treat my dietician has told me to simply replace 1 carb with another. If I want something sweet than I don't have potato with supper. I was told I could have 45-60g of carbs with every meal and my numbers have stayed in line

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is something from my last 2.5 years experience. I usually take one day off in 3 weeks and go for regular diet. Because I think, If we go for long time with LC diet, our body can start to react badly once we have regular carb diet after long time.
For example - Yesterday I had heavy break fast ( 3 Roti - ( Indian whole wheat bread ) ). I had Rice and Beans, Roti in my lunch (Indian food) and had chineese in dinner.

I checked my BS this morning and it was 95.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
There is not many things diabetes force me to never ever eat.
Sometimes when I really want something, maybe some potatoechips, a cake, pizza, and so on, I eat it, but I always count the carbs. Sometimes I need to use more insulin to avoid my BG rise, other times I just switch the carbo I usually eat with the special thing I want to eat, but I never eat much of the forbidden food. I just eat enough to be happy I can taste it!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I was also told by a dietitian and CDE that I needed to eat 45 - 60g of carbs in each of three meals and 15g in each of two snacks.

I was also told in those same sessions that:

1) You must take medications and over the years those medications will need to increase both in number of meds and dosage, and

2) In the end you will be on insulin, and

3) Exercise, no matter how much, will "work for a while" (but don't be deceived), later it will stop working and only meds plus insulin will keep your BG under control.

Based on the first [bad] advice, from everything I've learned, the other three points sound exactly right.

If I want a treat my dietician has told me to simply replace 1 carb with another. If I want something sweet than I don't have potato with supper. I was told I could have 45-60g of carbs with every meal and my numbers have stayed in line

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Brand, having a forbidden food or foods once in awhile is okay...however, three bread sticks was a sure bet to not only raise your bg's, but spike them into oblivion. Had you just eaten one bread stick, and you could have slathered it with real butter, it would have been better for you, tasted good, and the fat from the butter may have helped to curb the spike from the flour in the bread stick. Keep in mind that anything in "moderation" is okay, but not all the time. Just once in awhile, special occasion, or whatnot, but don't "overindulge" in the item. I did my own share of "cheating" the last two days with all the goodies abound, however, I'm back to my LCHF WOE as of 12/26 because I don't want to affect my bg's for too long of a time. Those spikes will also keep occurring for a few days, so that is why you must always be diligent, even when you cheat, to not cheat too much. A little can definitely go a long way. Hope it all works out for you.

Reactions: Shalynne

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Wife who is a D as well went to pick up the Grandkids. She stopped at a quick shop and bought them some Reese cups. The bad part was she had no lunch and ate 7-8 of those small reese cups. We were to go out for dinner that night but she was so sick she couldn't get off the couch. I checked her BG, this was some 3-4 hours after she fessed up to eating them 185. The trip up and down was bad for her. I tell her, if you have such a strong desire to do this, let me get you some fast acting insulin. Problem with that is I would be the one doing the carb counting for her.
Unfortunately I have had occurrences where my sugar has dipped too low and I've eaten things like those little reese's cups to help raise it. Problem happens about an hour or so after eating something like that to raise my sugar that it affects my intestinal system and I end up having a "sugar dump" which puts me in the bathroom for the next few hours. Therefore I really try not to eat too much candy anymore because of this. Even taking a fast acting insulin causes your body to have to readjust up and down too quickly and too much. My system cannot handle that.

Reactions: Shalynne

·
Registered
31 Posts
smorgan said:
I was also told by a dietitian and CDE that I needed to eat 45 - 60g of carbs in each of three meals and 15g in each of two snacks.

I was also told in those same sessions that:

1) You must take medications and over the years those medications will need to increase both in number of meds and dosage, and

2) In the end you will be on insulin, and

3) Exercise, no matter how much, will "work for a while" (but don't be deceived), later it will stop working and only meds plus insulin will keep your BG under control.

Based on the first [bad] advice, from everything I've learned, the other three points sound exactly right.
I think we saw the same dietician since that is almost verbatim what I was told

1 - 20 of 22 Posts