The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
My early morning fasting is about 85 and I take 2x1000mg metformin and 1x2.5mg Glipizide in the morning. The issue that I am running into is that my BGL sits in the 140-150 BGL throughout the day.

I am only 3 months into D2 treatment and was wondering if there was a med that works all day or if I just need to increase what I am doing. I see the doctor on Tuesday and want to have a better discussion. I seem better throughout the night, but eating a diabetic diet still seems to keep me "higher" during the day.

Just looking for suggestions. Thanks,

Jere

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If your diabetic diet is the one recommended by your doc or a dietitian/diabetes educator, and the ADA, it's prob'ly way too high in carbs to ever lower your blood sugars. Many of us find that cutting out carbs gives us really rapid results in getting our sugars down & stabilized.

The worst things for a diabetic to eat are grains (wheat, corn, oats, rice, etc.) and possibly fruit (except for avocados & tomatoes). So if your diet includes bread, potatoes, rice & fruit, those are the things that raise your blood sugar all day long.

I have no experience with glipizide, but I know metformin works MUCH better with a low-carb diet.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Insulin would be my first choice. Drops the glipizide and start lantus

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am staying away from carbs through the day. I think my doc is bringing me down slowly. One doc said that Metformin is like a .22 cal bullet. (Rarely does it do it by itself.)

Just kinda wondering if there is a "slow-release" med.

Jere

I will look up Lantus

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Actually, metformin is available in slow-release. One of the names for it is Glumetza - there may be others too.

My own experience leads me to disagree with what that one doctor said. I take 1000mg x2, and it keeps me in the ballpark without any other drugs or treatment other than LC/HF.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I only take metformin without any additional meds. It works for me. Since you are waking up at 85 that tells me that your basal insulin is still sufficient to keep you in the 80's. Can you tell us a little about how much you eat for meals and how often? Quite often with type 2's it is not just what we eat but the balance of the food and the timing of what we eat. I can wake up normal but if I don't eat right away my liver will dump glucose and raise my bg 40 points. By eating small meals with under 10 carbs but with a lot of fat I can avoid the liver dumps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Once the Metformin could no longer handle my Glucose levels alone, I went on Insulin. Doctors never considered adding a second pill for me. Everybody is different though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dietician has me on a good program and the cook is familiar enough to keep me very close to it. Glipizide was added six weeks ago and it is just not adding to the program.

Noticing all over these forums is that people take a combination to get a certain effect. I understand that the metformin, at its current level and which is extended release, is not bringing me low enough.

Thanks Laney for the suggestion of insulin. I am probably going to take another small step of additional metformin. The insulin seems a more final step. Finding a drug that is appropriate for MY program is my intent and it would be nice, through experience, to learn of what other drugs have been used. Diet and exercise are already covered.

Thanks again,
Jere

1 - 8 of 8 Posts