The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an appointment with a DE tomorrow. It is my first one since being dx'ed last month. I want to be sure I get the most out of this appointment so please help me come up with a list of questions to ask.

My doctor has made this an individual appointment versus a class because he stated the classes are more geared toward type 2 and he wants to be sure I get the attention I need and the education is specific to type 1.

What say ye?

I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I assume you are a type 1, is that right. Your CDE should go over carb counting with you and discuss how much insulin you need to cover each carb you eat. Some dieticians still use the older sliding scale of using insulin which is not as accurate, so ask her about specific carb counting. Also ask her about the different kinds of insulins out there and which ones are best for you. Ask her what your daily bgs should be before meals and after meals. If your bg is not in that range, ask her what to do about it. Also ask her what to do when you are sick and bgs go very high. Also ask about exercise and how you should manage your carbs and insulin.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jwags said:
I assume you are a type 1, is that right. Your CDE should go over carb counting with you and discuss how much insulin you need to cover each carb you eat. Some dieticians still use the older sliding scale of using insulin which is not as accurate, so ask her about specific carb counting. Also ask her about the different kinds of insulins out there and which ones are best for you. Ask her what your daily bgs should be before meals and after meals. If your bg is not in that range, ask her what to do about it. Also ask her what to do when you are sick and bgs go very high. Also ask about exercise and how you should manage your carbs and insulin.
Thank you! These are all great questions!

Oh yeah, you are correct. I am type 1

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The DE appt went well.I got my questions along with the ones suggested here answered and learned a lot.it's still going to take me awhile to get the carb counting thing down but I'm hopeful.I received numerous books (with pictures!) And other hand outs that will be very helpful

·
Registered
741 Posts
that's great news crystal...counting carbs becomes 2nd nature fairly fast...its all about testing what foods spike you...once you know (by testing) its not difficult...there are many people here that can explain that better than me...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts