The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am ridiculously nervous about the appointment this afternoon.

It's weird because I am not easily intimidated but for some reason I turn into a rebellious teenager when I have to talk to this doctor.

Crossing my fingers that I find the strength to just smile and nod a lot. :vs_cool:
Good luck and we'll be anxious to hear about it later.

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is how it went...

Him: [reading my chart] Fatigue?
Me: Yes, sir.
Him: You still eating low carb?
Me: I avoid sugar and I am cautious with processed foods.
Him: So you are still low carb?
Him: You are tired because you don't eat enough carbs.
Me: I am eating the same carbs I did the last time I was here. The fatigue is new.
Him: I need you to eat 60 carbs per meal and 15 per snack.
Me: I am unable to control my sugar at that level.
Him: How do you know this?
Me: Because I test which foods do and do not impact my bs.
Him: Okay, I don't need you to do that. I only need to see your fasting bs numbers.
Me: [biting lip to keep from responding]
Him: Did you hear me?
Me: Yes, sir. Could you could check my B12 levels?
Him: No.
Me: No?
Him: No. It's not B12.
Me: Can I get my scripts?
Him: I am sending you for another thyroid ultrasound.
Me: [hoping my lip isn't bleeding]

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Brutal. At least it's over, he didn't yell, and you'll never have to see him again. Driving into San Antonio has got to be better than this! Man.

I've had some bad experiences, but nothing close to this.

Very sorry this guy is practicing medicine in your (or any!) neck of the woods.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The "hospitalist" whatever that is, had nothing to do with my surgery or treatment. I presume he is a hospital employee of some sore but other than harassing patients I don't have any idea what he does. I saw him exactly twice. The first time he introduced himself and then grilled me on my way of controlling my blood sugar and the second time he walked in, scolded me and walked out. Period.
On the other hand the nurses, PTs, OTs were all delightful. They listened and worked with me and did whatever I needed them to do so I could be as comfortable and in control of my own recovery as possible.
Call me "suspicious" but that "hospitalist" has probably billed your insurance for consulting with you. This has happened with one of my relatives and is extremely irritating when the patient is paying part of the bill. Ignore him and his "advice."

·
Registered
799 Posts
That's good to know Steve. How do you determine how much to use? nd what does it cost?
I use an App called RapidCalc on my iPhone that uses your information and current BS reading to calculate an insulin dose. My doctor is on board with this and has prescribed Novolin R for me even though I don't need a prescription.

Novolin R is available at Walmart for $24.95 a vial. :biggrin:

·
Registered
837 Posts
This is how it went...

Him: [reading my chart] Fatigue?
Him: You still eating low carb?
Me: I avoid sugar and I am cautious with processed foods.
Him: So you are still low carb?
Him: You are tired because you don't eat enough carbs.
Me: I am eating the same carbs I did the last time I was here. The fatigue is new.
Him: I need you to eat 60 carbs per meal and 15 per snack.
Me: I am unable to control my sugar at that level.
Him: How do you know this?
Me: Because I test which foods do and do not impact my bs.
Him: Okay, I don't need you to do that. I only need to see your fasting bs numbers.
Me: [biting lip to keep from responding]
Him: Did you hear me?
Me: Yes, sir. Could you could check my B12 levels?
Him: No.
Me: No?
Him: No. It's not B12.
Me: Can I get my scripts?
Him: I am sending you for another thyroid ultrasound.
Me: [hoping my lip isn't bleeding]
Wow! I would call him arrogant, bossy, and gone.

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I was sitting here drinking coffee and thinking about all of this...

It suddenly dawned on me that I should actually be very thankful for this cranky old doctor.

It was because of him that I got so angry that I stopped going to doctors for a while. That anger drove me to finally deciding to take control of my diabetes. It was then that I began researching nutrition. Following a lot of trial and error, I came to the realization that the LCHF lifestyle would help me to bring it all together. It was the start of a whole new journey.

Maybe sometimes things happen for a reason...

·
Super Moderator
9,633 Posts
Way too often, sad, but true experience. Too bad others will go on thinking their doctor knows best.

You really should relay the message back to your doctor, thanking him for his lack of ability to think for himself and not questioning the obvious proof that ADA recommendations do not work long term.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Call me "suspicious" but that "hospitalist" has probably billed your insurance for consulting with you. This has happened with one of my relatives and is extremely irritating when the patient is paying part of the bill. Ignore him and his "advice."
I certainly did ignore his advice. I have medicare. Don't know if he billed them or not. I didn't see anything for him on my medicare statements.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I use an App called RapidCalc on my iPhone that uses your information and current BS reading to calculate an insulin dose. My doctor is on board with this and has prescribed Novolin R for me even though I don't need a prescription.

Novolin R is available at Walmart for $24.95 a vial. :biggrin:

Thanks Steve. My doc wants to me to "try" the new oral meds, is not on board with insulin. So I may be on my own with it when/if I decide to use insulin.
@CRICKET: You and I definitely need to find new doctors. These guys just want to dictate, not work with us.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Thanks Steve. My doc wants to me to "try" the new oral meds, is not on board with insulin. So I may be on my own with it when/if I decide to use insulin.
I went to an endo specifically to get insulin a couple months ago. She prescribed it, but I didn't follow her advice (sliding scale), and on my next appt, she agreed with what I suggested (dosing, ratio, etc), the reality being I could've done it without her.

I was conservative with dosing (lower than she said), increased very slowly (still could stand a higher dose), test compulsively, and when one does that, it's hard to get into trouble.

Now - the visit with the CDE to help me get over the hump of injecting was golden! But my needle pathology is pretty extreme.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts