The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
That is really a shame, especially to people like muertelken who have one and like it.
I was so looking forward to getting the 1800 instead of my 1700 :cool:

I can't understand why they won't go on making this wonderful pump. They have so many happy customers after all...:(

In our Belgian diabetesgroup, a few members switched from pens to the Cozmo, because I'm so enthusiastic about it. And now I will have to disappoint them that they won't be able to keep it as long as expected. But as I said, Belgium is always waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind and maybe the US will drop all their extra pumps in our country, so we can go on pumping Cozmo for quite some more years :) I'm not ready to give in yet.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Meurtelken!!! Long time....... :D

Awwww! I'm sorry about that. Especially since you talked some members into buying one. But they are Good for the 4 year warranty plus support if something happens to the Cozmo or supplies, if they buy one now. So that's Good. Yes, hopefully other countries will pass them over to your country.

Out of the 4 choices I have, I did like the Animas 2020. Many say the MiniMed is Good also. Some get Good Luck out of some pumps and others have terrible luck and give them up. Some of the problems are human error though. You know us Humans are way too Swift sometimes. :D

I wish you Good Luck in whichever direction you choose.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey Meurtelken!!! Long time....... :D

Awwww! I'm sorry about that. Especially since you talked some members into buying one. But they are Good for the 4 year warranty plus support if something happens to the Cozmo or supplies, if they buy one now. So that's Good. Yes, hopefully other countries will pass them over to your country.

Out of the 4 choices I have, I did like the Animas 2020. Many say the MiniMed is Good also. Some get Good Luck out of some pumps and others have terrible luck and give them up. Some of the problems are human error though. You know us Humans are way too Swift sometimes. :D

I wish you Good Luck in whichever direction you choose.
Hi Terrie,

we don't need to buy our pumps though. We get them for free, through medical care ;)
I have seen other pumps and they don't look as apealing to me as the cozmo does.
I did look into the Omnipod, but it's not even available over here :cool: O well, we do have quite some time left to go on pumping our Cozmo :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh sorry, I said that wrong. That's Fantastic that you get them free. They are only free in my Province and free for Kids in British Columbia(BC) Province also The Adults in BC will get them free next. Possibly 2 other Provinces here now also. Eventually our Government will pay for a pump/supplies for every Insulin dependant Diabetic here. Slow but sure. The Pump Educator did say that we(or our Insurance) have to pay $600.00. I didn't ask why. I'll phone her and ask. That's not much anyways.

Ya, my first choice would be the Omnipod also but they are not approved here yet(or the Ping). The Omni seems to have more complaints though since it's newer. It needs time for the company to iron the bugs out of it yet. Lots of users still Love it though.

I'm Glad that you love your pump and I hope that you can use the Cozmo for a Good long time yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cozmo - Medtronic

I upgraded not to long ago to a Minimed 722 and have not regretted it in the least. I have the CGMS and it has taken my a1c to the next level down. I was unable to break past 6.7 now I am in the mid 5's.

Allen Prunty, Louisville, KY
----[140]-----------------------------
Live Between The Lines
-------------------------[80]---------

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Allen: :)

Nice to meet you. Thank you for all the valuable information. I presume you upgraded from the MiniMed 522? Wow! That is one Big difference in your A1c. Obviously the CGMS is the biggest part of that accomplishment. Good show!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I forgot to mention Cathy, that I saw a news article saying that Omnipod is going to be available in Europe and Canada soon. Just in case you were still interested. I know...you Love your Cozmo. :D I'll try to find the link to the article anyways, if you haven't seen it already.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Allen: :)

Nice to meet you. Thank you for all the valuable information. I presume you upgraded from the MiniMed 522? Wow! That is one Big difference in your A1c. Obviously the CGMS is the biggest part of that accomplishment. Good show!
Actually I swapped out from the Cozmo. I loved the features of the pump but I had more trouble with the darn thing breaking. I went thorugh 37 of them before my warranty expired.

The MM is a much more durable pump for me.

I am an autoimmune type one... from long term use of the Beef and Pork insulin. When I switched to the synthetic Human insulin my body just would not accept it. I have to use u500 in my pump which means my insulin reacts slower than those who are on the rapid acting insulins.

Having the CGMS has allowed me to head off highs and lows before they get in the danger zone. My motto is live between the lines because that's how I use my CGMS... the more I keep the curve between the lines the better I feel. I have also lost a considerable amount of weight because I can more precisely treat a low now.

The CGMS does not replace fingersticks... and yes sometimes it's 10-20 bg points higher or lower but it sure as heck shows me when things are going south or north and I am able to reign in control before I get the shakies or the sweatties.

I have been diabetic for 32 of my 37 years... I have been pumping since 1986 started with a CPI Lilly betatron pump... the size of a box of checks back in the day. I have seen some incredible improvements in the technology... and the CGMS is one step closer to the set it and forget it pump.

Allen Prunty, Louisville, KY

----[140]-----------------------------
Live Between The Lines :D
-------------------------[80]---------

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi:

Oh, you had the Cozno. Geez, you went through 37? That has to be an unusual number. No wonder you are Happy with the upgrade to MiniMed.

I am an autoimmune type one... from long term use of the Beef and Pork insulin. Me too. :) If you are using the U500. That means that you are resistant to Insulin, does it not?

I knew a Guy back in the '70's who had a pump that cost about $2200.(CAD). It was about the size of a brick. I never knew the name of it. He thought it was Great. Perhaps it is something similar to what you had. It must be amazing to see the pumps change through the years. I've only been noticing since about 2003.

I like your Motto. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi:

I am an autoimmune type one... from long term use of the Beef and Pork insulin. Me too. :) If you are using the U500. That means that you are resistant to Insulin, does it not?
No... I wish I was resistant to insulin... I have autoimmunie type 1 diabetes. I have tested positive to antibodies that attack and destroy the insulin. My body sees it as a foreign substance.

If you are insulin resistant you can take sensatizers like Avandia / Apidra and etc.

My Doctor is one of the researchers at the Joslyn center. I am not a common diabetic out there.

Allen

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right you are in both cases. I've never heard of a Type 1 using U-500. That must make it even tougher for you. I'd like to know what type of diet you have, if you don't mind me asking and have a minute.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I pretty much eat a strict Vegetarian diet. I bolus the carbs accordingly and even eat things like potatos and rice in moderation. I am active enough that I don't have a weight problem.

I do occasionally eat fish but not often less than once a month... and being vegetarian not vegan I do eat eggs, dairy and cheese. The main thing I avoid is the red meat. It boggs me down so bad that I feel dead for two days if I eat red meat.

Allen

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey that sounds pretty good. Not too often that I see a Male that doesn't want yo eat meat like everyday or so. I try not to eat much meat either. But if my Hubby bbq's. Everybody must eat meat. :D Luckily I do most of the cooking. Meat bogs you down does it? Hmmm. That's interesting. Thanks for your diet description Allen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey that sounds pretty good. Not too often that I see a Male that doesn't want yo eat meat like everyday or so. I try not to eat much meat either. But if my Hubby bbq's. Everybody must eat meat. :D Luckily I do most of the cooking. Meat bogs you down does it? Hmmm. That's interesting. Thanks for your diet description Allen.
I feel tired after eating a large portion of red meat... I can not run... can not bike don't know any other way to describe it. Don't let this gross you out but it also destroys my regularity.

One thing about eating a high fiber diet with loads of veggies is the regularity. Like Dr. Oz says it should be a swoosh and it's done... and when I eat any quantity of Animal protien it's anything but a swoosh.

Allen

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not Big on meat and like vegetables, fruits and some dairy, fibre cereal and wheat breads on occasion, more so.

I've never been Very Good with associating a symptom with "outside" causes. So I find that your thought about fatigue and irregularity being caused by eating red meat, possible for some People anyways.

It is certainly not the same pure meat that we used to eat. Now with the antibiotics, hormones, preservatives, etc. being injected and fed to the animals anything is possible. Some Farmers however still do not allow these chemicals into their livestock. So meat straight from researched Farms would be an alternative. Thanks for the thought to mull over.

·
Registered
158 Posts
thats crazy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts