The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really dislike intro posts, mostly because I end up rewriting them a billion times, and still think they sound stupid (go go self-critic!)

I'm about to be 30 (1 month away /panic), and was diagnosed almost two years ago. Growing up in an Italian household, my normal staples were pasta, bread, and other such not so healthy for a diabetic things. Thankfully, I have a fondness for veggies, so I lean on those more often than not. Control is a struggle for me, not only because of the staples, but also because I have a GIANT sweet tooth. Love ice cream, cake, pudding, cookies, you name it. So it's been, and continues to be, a rough road.

I'm enjoying hanging out here, and have found a lot of good information (especially in the recipes section!). Thanks for being here. :yo:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Good for you not using the intro forum ... it is too hard to tell all in one post, we will get to know you anyhow.

I see you, too, are hypothyroid ... are you diagnosed as a T1D or T2D?

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome to the boards

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hmm.... "lurking" tends to imply that you're around the forums but not posting...

Yet I've seen you post!

So you weren't lurking and therefore cannot "de-lurk". :p

But at least I get to say "Hi!" and :welcome: now!!

:peace:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am from the Cleveland area. My daughter goes to Denison about 20 miles from Columbus. I am not italian but really hated to give up pasta, but I did. I use other things to substitute like spaghetti squash, julienned zucchini and shiratake noodles. It is good you like vegetables there is a lot you can do with them. Most of them don't do much to my bg , that is a good thing. I love squashes especially butternut. I like to roast it and then puree with some chicken broth and spices . It is a good sub for mashed potatoes. Also I like making chicken parmesan but use almond meal to dredge the chicken in. It comes out better than flour version. I'm glad you found us.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome, I looked at your user name and noticed that, when spelled backwards, it is "kruled". If you are diagnosed with diabetes, then you have indeed been cruled or kruled.

I was cruled when I was 6, in 1945, and I am very healthy. Good luck with your diet and resistance of those treats you like so much.

Richard

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I ask b/c I found out there is a genetic connection between thyroid disease and autoimmune Diabetes ... which seems to be my thing. Hashimoto's for 18 yrs, weight gain, wham! DKA.

G

·
welcome Alanthiana :) I'm type 2 also on insulin. Personally I still eat pasta but I keep the portions small. Pasta and rice works better on me that vegetable carbs... in fact vegetable carbs are very unpredictable on me... my BGLs either crash or soar. This is a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts