The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to this article, dentists can identify people with undiagnosed diabetes and pre-diabetes by how many teeth are missing and how many deep periodontal pockets they have.

Do you think this is a fact or just more bad research?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Personally I think Dentists (and hygienists) should take more responsibility for diagnosis! I had a horrible problem with plaque (but not yet crappy gums), and would have appreciated the input.

(On a side note, I joke that my dentist could have diagnosed my daughter's autism, with minimal training. At the dentist, autistic kids are at their WORST, due to oral sensitivity as part of their Sensory Integration problems. Seriously -- this kid curled up in fetal position in the chair, and howled and CURSED the dentist -- from age 4 on up! And that was just the exam!!!)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously -- this kid curled up in fetal position in the chair, and howled and CURSED the dentist -- from age 4 on up! And that was just the exam!!!
I STILL act that way when I have to see the dentist. :D

My nephew is autistic, so I know some of what you have gone through. It takes a lot of patience to raise an autistic child. My hat is off to you.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
This certainly applies to me. Wish I had known earlier that I could have prevented progression. My dentist and his hygienist have both commented on how little plaque I've had since being on my WOE. I've spent a fortune on my gum disease.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I STILL act that way when I have to see the dentist. :D

My nephew is autistic, so I know some of what you have gone through. It takes a lot of patience to raise an autistic child. My hat is off to you.
This one is generally a piece of cake -- girls have an amazing capacity to slip under the radar much of time -- she was not even dx'd until age SIX! Which of course leaves me in the position of excusing her behavior, sometimes to disbelieving looks and remarks ... :violin:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Concerning this that I read on the link that was placed above ..

Oral Bacteria from Gum disease can cause diseases elsewhere in the body
In a person's mouth, the number of bacteria can easily exceed the number of people living on Earth. This is according to Sigmund Socransky, a dental researcher at the Forsyth Dental center in Boston, who also asserts that in a plaque-free mouth, 1,000 to 100,000 bacteria living in every area of the tooth, but when plaque is present, more than 100 million to a billion bacteria may be growing on each tooth. She shakes mind. But what do you do for the body?

I wanted to say that, I'm engaged but my fiancée does not live in a place with me and see you and stay together 3 to 4 weeks every 2 to 3 months. And during this time as every couple of lovers and we kiss, but I perceive that every time she comes and we continue to kiss the bottom out something disturbing language that can stand 3 or 4 days after the case has to stay even 1 week. Who thinks he can give me an answer for this? I have diabetes type

1 - 7 of 7 Posts