The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My reading was 5.7 pre meal and I just got a high reading 1 hour PP of 8.4 - and don't understand why!!!
It was after a snack of 1 Ryvita Low GI (5 gms net carbs) with 10 gms peanut butter (real peanuts only - 1.2gms Carbs) and 3 Brazil nuts (0.5gms carbs)
Total carbs of 6.7
Total fats were 14.3

Does this seem right? I've noticed that some of my other PP tests are a little high at times (1 hour PP) with identical foods - so does this mean I'm getting worse?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It may just mean that your meter doesn't like Ryvita crackers - not even one. I know mine doesn't. And since I eat to my meter, I've stopped eating crackers - even if they say they're low GI.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've found other "Net Carbs" arnt so net. Dreamfield pasta still spikes me like real pasta.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Diabetes86 - Even if I count total carbs it's only 13.4g for 2 slices according to the packet label (including 1.0g sugars) and fibre is 3.7g. Back to the drawing board:-(

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I was just checking the Ryvita ingredients & a coupla the flavors use oat flour along with the rye. Oats is one of the grains that spikes me quite a lot.

Their fruit & nut crackers also contain whole grain wheat flour, brown sugar and honey.

Source

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hmmm..........
This one I have has Wholemeal Rye Flour 73%, Pumpkin seeds 15%, Oats 11%. It has a GI of 46.
I'll try it later today with blue cheese and no nuts - and see what happens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm..........
This one I have has Wholemeal Rye Flour 73%, Pumpkin seeds 15%, Oats 11%. It has a GI of 46.
I'll try it later today with blue cheese and no nuts - and see what happens.
Duly tested. Pre snack was 6.1. 1 Hour was 8.3 - so I guess I scrub THOSE off my list:(

·
Registered
253 Posts
Protein will also add to your blood glucose readings. Just wondering since you only mentioned the carbs and fats of the crackers. Any protein that isn't used to replace body tissue (and that is most of the protein) gets turned into glucose by the liver.

Just in case that helps sort out what is happening.

best wishes, and good luck getting it sorted out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I hadn't taken the protein into acount at all - with this or with other 'meals' that have cause occasional spikes because I believe from what I've read that protein has a delayed absorption of about 2-4 hours.
Here is the total for the snack. (cracker protein only is 1.6g)
Total carbs of 6.7
Total fats were 14.3
Total proteins 5.6

I'm finding that I can have this other days -and with almonds instead of Brazil nuts and it's fine! I also find that other 'meals' can spike some days and be OK others. I can test at 1 hour after a meal at 6.8 and the very next day with the same meal contents I can test at 8.4! And this is with the same amount of exercise. Not fair!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I believe from what I've read that protein has a delayed absorption of about 2-4 hours.
I don't actually know how long it takes. I have read 'up to 4 hours,' so don't know when it starts acting. I usually only test 4 hours after a meal anyway. That's when I do test, which is rare. 10 grams of protein takes the same insulin as 10 grams of carbs for me.

I just add them together and then calculate the insulin for both of them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK - I've seen that too - somewhere - but I'm just relying on my own meager insulin supply - and testing at 1 hour PP to try to keep under the damage level :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I believe from what I've read that protein has a delayed absorption of about 2-4 hours.
I thought about this a few times in the next few days, and have something to add to it. (seemed important to me, but I am delusional :) )

I have to start eating 15 to 20 minutes after using my rapid insulin. Twice in my early days with it I took longer and wound up unconscious. (sigh) It wasn't even much longer, 30 min max.

Sometimes I have had meals that were nothing but protein. If I'm attacking a left over chicken in the fridge, for example. (maybe fat, but at least no carbs)

I did think about it too, wondering just about how long it took protein to start changing to glucose, but since I had never seen a caution for protein meals I just used the standard 20 minutes time. Did not wind up unconscious, so I think I've tested this one out very thoroughly, on me (!) and it seems to start quickly enough.

At least much faster than 2 to 4 hours

love,
the guinea pig :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If it is any comfort to you having high bg after eating the delicious Ryvita crackers - you are not alone! They do the same thing to me and I used to love having them with chili, soup and just by themselves with peanut butter. It almost seems that anything that tastes 'good' to me - I have to spit it out :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts