The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am an engineer working on a new glucose meter and was hoping to get some feedback from the diabetic community. I googled for diabetes forums and got this one. Hopefully posting this thread does not go against forum rules, lol.

Anyways, I was hoping for feedback on what people feel are good and bad about current meters and what they would like to see in future meters. Either features, looks, feel, etc.

Thank you!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello Rabbit, I guess I would let you ask our members here what we would like in our meters, New developments are always welcome as we look at refining our goal to perfect good control.

Have a look at our policy on the use of our website that may stand in your way.

I'll start as I would like to put in comments on each test that gives us where did we go right or wrong in this test. So maybe a Mobile Phone design type of meter and type the message in each test as an option.
The lancing device in the meter other than the lance buy it's self as this saves us having just two devices instead of three. A swhichable lamp is another? I think we can stop here but anyone else have an idea??

Welcome to the forum. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Anthill,

Thanks for the warm welcome, I looked over the rules and I will not be advertising or asking for personal information or anything else.

Right now I am trying to design cell phone compatibility into the device, but the thing that is currently holding it back is the wireless frequency and battery life. Once the new wireless standards come out that should not be a problem.

As for the notes, how would you feel about a voice recording option? So that you could record a small message for each test if you wanted, that removes the need to have a keyboard on the device for notes.

I have not yet started on the lancing design, but I will keep that in mind when I do get started.

I am not sure what you mean by a switchable lamp, can you elaborate on that?

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and hopefully we can accomplish something together.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm pretty sure the idea of the lamp is to be able to turn it off and on, rather than always coming on, and not being able to control it ourselves.

A small point, but I would like to see a USB connector for my meter, rather than the $30- $40 one so I could make better use of the data stored, and track my numbers on my pc with a graph or table. Its an outrage to have to pay so much for so little. Its just a cable. There are multiple "standard" USB cables that are plenty small enough at the meter end that would allow us to buy them anywhere, or use one that we already have.

I recognize the low cost of the meters for what they are, but strips are the cash cow for the manufacturer, and I think it would be a sale point to be able to use a standard, off the shelf USB cable along with the software that is provided.

Hey, if you don't want to do that, at least publish the pinouts for the cable, so those of use who know how, can create our own :)

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi John,

I will see if I can incorporate a mini-usb port into my design and perhaps a microsd card slot as well. And if I get pressured into making a proprietary port, I will try to put the pinouts in the manual under a "customer maintenance" section.

As for the sensors, they are expensive because of the gold metals that they use and the enzymes. We should be able to reduce the costs significantly based on initial lab data. I can't really say much more, haha.

So for the lamp, I am still a bit confused on what it is exactly. Do you mean the backlight on the lcd screen or something else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yea, I have read of folks who would like a backlight on the LCD that they can control. I guess some have them, but they turn off and on automagically from within, I supposed based on what function is being performed. Folks have said they take readings late at night, and don't want to turn on a light and bother their partner, and need the backlight, yet its pretty wasteful to have the LCD backlight come on in broad daylight every time.

I think a micro sd card would be great if the USB connector can't be sold to the folks who hold the cash in the company. :)

John

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hi Anthill,

Thanks for the warm welcome, I looked over the rules and I will not be advertising or asking for personal information or anything else.
Great! :D
Right now I am trying to design cell phone compatibility into the device, but the thing that is currently holding it back is the wireless frequency and battery life. Once the new wireless standards come out that should not be a problem.
I was thinking that the texting on tests would service our needs as this is written. As for the wireless, I would look at the WiFi standard of G as this is good as the use of USB or the Bluetooth as this is a personal networks standard.

As for the notes, how would you feel about a voice recording option? So that you could record a small message for each test if you wanted, that removes the need to have a keyboard on the device for notes.
This maybe a good option but then a Mobile Phone I think is not the intended idea. I just used the phone as the keyboard to do the comment to each test. We don't need the phone to send the results.

I have not yet started on the lancing design, but I will keep that in mind when I do get started.
OK
I am not sure what you mean by a switchable lamp, can you elaborate on that?
This is just a lamp to let us see the the meter as this will let us do the tests in low light conditions. The switch will let us have the ability to see, So it's not a torch as an LED will do. ;)

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum and hopefully we can accomplish something together.
Thankyou for giving us the opertunity to voice our opinion to a great meter to use. :D
With the use of better memory capacity will allow more detailed infomation in our tests will be of benifit to us.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like a meter that is simple to use and no fuss. I will record my own readings on paper. I don't need this USB stuff and sending to a computer or attaching to a cell phone (I don't like using a cell phone either). It would just increase the price and be a waste of money.
The only two things I want is accuracy and one that doesn't use very much blood so you don't have to prick your finger so deep. I use Accu-Chek Active, which is probably the bottom line on the market.
Other than something where all I had to do was touch my skin and it would give an accuate reading or lick a test strip and it would take my reading, I'm happy doing it this way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am an engineer working on a new glucose meter and was hoping to get some feedback from the diabetic community. I googled for diabetes forums and got this one. Hopefully posting this thread does not go against forum rules, lol.

Anyways, I was hoping for feedback on what people feel are good and bad about current meters and what they would like to see in future meters. Either features, looks, feel, etc.

Thank you!
We need accurate meters! The FDA allows a 20% variance in the meters test results. That is so inaccuate its a crying shame.
We need the ability to calibrate a meter accurately! Currently mfg make meters that cannot be calibrated or you supposedly calibrate a meter with the test strip using test fluid. To say a meter is OK to use if the test fluid results fall between 101-134 mg/dl, a 33 mg/dl swing, is absurd. This isn't accuracy, it's guessing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We need accurate meters! The FDA allows a 20% variance in the meters test results. That is so inaccuate its a crying shame.
We need the ability to calibrate a meter accurately! Currently mfg make meters that cannot be calibrated or you supposedly calibrate a meter with the test strip using test fluid. To say a meter is OK to use if the test fluid results fall between 101-134 mg/dl, a 33 mg/dl swing, is absurd. This isn't accuracy, it's guessing.
I have zero faith in my meter as far as accuracy is concerned. I use it to note trends only.

What we need is a control fluid that is equal to a set amount of glucose, any number will do, 100, 125, etc. Using the existing control fluid only verifies that the strips are within that awful 20% range.

If we could test the meter against a known standard BG level, we would at least have the ability to see how far off they are, and correct things in our minds. Every time I open a new box of strips, my readings change noticeably. Wonderful when the new ones read low :) and depressing when suddenly I am ten points higher than expected, during each test.

Given that the number 140 has no tolerance attached, and neither do any of the tests used to diagnose diabetes in the first place, these inaccurate meters are very nearly a waste of time.

There is no way to every calibrate the meters, unless there is a standard to work with, and such a standard has to be a type of control fluid that accurately reflects a set glucose level. Such a thing would cost the consumer for the fluid, and would not raise the price of the meter such that the companies would be less willing to give them away as they do now. The user should not be able to alter the meter's reading capability, but we should be able to know how far off things really are.

Oh, and if I could add just one thing to my meter that should be a 'freebie' I would like to be able to "mark" my readings with a single character, so I could easily scroll through, and see which numbers are fasting numbers. To have several more options to mark with, would be nice, but not necessary, for those who would use a character to stamp a reading as before meal, one hour, and two hours later, bedtime, whatever.

Same as the control test lets you mark it, but of course, we want to retain the reading, not delete it.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry for not posting in so long

I would like to thank you all for your input and suggestions on what features to be incorporated in the device. I greatly appreciate all the time you have spent in sharing you ideas with me, however, I have bad news for us both.

I was fired from my job because my employer viewed it as my fault for the company not being able to win a contract to finance the project. Therefore I am currently unemployed. After being let go, I lost access to all the account information I had set up before as I had to turn them over to the company. I recently rediscovered this website along with my login information.

Thank you for your help, and I apologize for not being able to deliver on my part.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would like to thank you all for your input and suggestions on what features to be incorporated in the device. I greatly appreciate all the time you have spent in sharing you ideas with me, however, I have bad news for us both.

I was fired from my job because my employer viewed it as my fault for the company not being able to win a contract to finance the project. Therefore I am currently unemployed. After being let go, I lost access to all the account information I had set up before as I had to turn them over to the company. I recently rediscovered this website along with my login information.

Thank you for your help, and I apologize for not being able to deliver on my part.
I am truly sorry about your job! I am new to the forum and haven't made my way back yet to your original post, but I really appreciate you seeking out the diabetic community for ground level input on what we are looking for and thank you for letting us know the status of your work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
New BG Meter Design

Hello to TheRabbit,

Back in the early eighties BG meters were $600-$800 per, then the cost of the strips. For about the last 15 years I have never purchased a BG Meter. I contact the company and advise them that I have to use 4-5 strips per day, meaning I use a lot. And at $90 per 100 I will not purchase the meter. Companies always send me their meter no charge. In addition, the USB cable that Bayer wanted $30 for so I could download data to their software, I never purchased. Same reasoning, if you want me to use your strips, supply the ancillary products. Thank goodness for competition.

I would like a meter that I can place on my skin, push a button and the built in infusion set produces the blood spot on demand so the meter can give me a reading. No strips to insert. Much like the very expensive remote sensors that Bayer and others make. But at $47 for a device that works perhaps 4 days, is just too costly. I should be able to wear it like a wristwatch.

Too much to ask?

Regards
James

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello to TheRabbit,

Back in the early eighties BG meters were $600-$800 per, then the cost of the strips. For about the last 15 years I have never purchased a BG Meter. I contact the company and advise them that I have to use 4-5 strips per day, meaning I use a lot. And at $90 per 100 I will not purchase the meter. Companies always send me their meter no charge. In addition, the USB cable that Bayer wanted $30 for so I could download data to their software, I never purchased. Same reasoning, if you want me to use your strips, supply the ancillary products. Thank goodness for competition.

I would like a meter that I can place on my skin, push a button and the built in infusion set produces the blood spot on demand so the meter can give me a reading. No strips to insert. Much like the very expensive remote sensors that Bayer and others make. But at $47 for a device that works perhaps 4 days, is just too costly. I should be able to wear it like a wristwatch.

Too much to ask?

Regards
James
Aw-you don't want much! I'll be standing in line behind you for the new meter! And you seem to have your way with these meter companies, that is good news!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts