The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

I have had my Dexcom for about 2 weeks now. For the first week it was great but the second I started the second sensor it started going wacko. It would give me (???) symbols all the time and giving me random readings. So I called tech support and they said to switch it out with a new sensor which I did. The new sensor didn't have the same problem with (???) reading except for a couple of times but I am getting readings all over the place. It wakes me up in the middle of the night telling me my blood sugar is 53 and going down and when I jump up run out and take a meter reading its above 100. 45 minutes later (without eating anything) the alarm will go off and say its above 140 and going up fast. Again I check with a meter and its in the 90s. whats going on, its regularly 40-50 points off, this morning it told me I was 125 fasting and according to meter I was 71!

Some additional info when I put this sensor on I started a round of Bactrin and prednisolone, i am also on prilosec, tagment, Allegra, flonase, and astepro nasal spray. (i have horrible nasal congestion that won't go away. At the moment I have been off the prednisolone for a few dasys.

Also I have not taken any acetaminophen, I know that throws off the numbers.

Thanks for any information!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Glomaster -

I am not a healthcare professional, but I can share my Dexcom experiences. When I first got my Dexcom several years ago, I was annoyed by 'alarms' that seemed to vary greatly from what my blood glucose meter said. I found this article by Gary Scheiner to be informative and helpful.

Continuous Glucose Monitoring: Making Sense of Your Numbers (Show All) :: Diabetes Self-Management

It is my understanding the any form of a steroid will elevate your blood sugar, or at least that is what happened to me. And as a result my blood sugar would vary wildly and my Dexcom seemed to have a hard time 'keeping' up with the changes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts