The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I understanding correctly that if my BG is 7.7 or less, 2 hrs after I start a meal, all is good? What am I missing?

·
Registered
497 Posts
When you hit 7.7 or hight is cause damage to your system that cannot or will be tough to reverse. That is the danger number, stay below that. I usually stay below 6 to be on the safe side.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
aim for 5.0 or lower, and you're doing well

·
Registered
782 Posts
aim for 5.0 or lower, and you're doing well
That's . . . 90? Two hours after a meal? Yikes! I've always thought I was okay as long as it was under 140. :confused:

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
That's . . . 90? Two hours after a meal? Yikes! I've always thought I was okay as long as it was under 140. :confused:
of course everyone is different. i personally never like to be over 100, ever.

Reactions: canadiandude

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
5.0 (90) might be a little unrealistic. However, under 6.7 (120) is doable with some work. Of course, if one is on insulin, that changes things and (correct me if I'm wrong) would make it easier to get the lower numbers than if only diet controlled.

That said, I DO usually stay under 100 (5.6) most of the time, but I eat very low carb/high fat to do it. I will say, though, that this has been a very good way to keep my BG numbers steady on the low side.

G

·
According to my doctor, anything over 7.0 is diabetic and therefore likely to cause damage. I try to keep my 2 hour test at around 5.5 (can't seem to get it much lower). Breakfast is my biggest challenge; it's usually around 5.8, in spite of the fact that I'm usually starting at around 4.6-4.9 and consume few or no carbs at all in the meal.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
140 (7.7) is a little high to be your main goal - it may be "okay", but it isn't particularly good. Some of us aspire to never go OVER that level, but to stay way under it most of the time and that helps in getting better A1c numbers too. The lower, the better. Stability is an issue also - try to keep wild swings to a minimum.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Matt, welcome to the forum.

The numbers being talked about here are in mg/dl. Yours are in mmoL/l. To equate the two, multiply yours by 18.05.

As you start with managing diabetes, a 140 at 1 hour after a meal would be OK, but at 2 hours try to be below 120. You can then keep modifying your targets as you tighten control.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts