The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
O Shanny what fab picture! I have 3 springer spaniels and 3 indoor Burmese cats, never never would they
chill out like yours have.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yeah, Fritz is pretty mellow - even more so as he ages (he's 7yo). His first year was spent with a dogsitter who had adult malamutes & Fritz learned pretty fast that he was the low man on the totem pole. He's never developed any alpha male habits even after we took him out of there (he was with us for six months before he even BARKED! He's a much better watchdog now that he knows he has a real home to protect/defend! ;)). Nobody else knows he's so gentle, so they just see that he's a big GSD, and behave accordingly!

Waylon, on the other hand, rules the roost . . . he'll take a swipe at Fritz' huge plume of a tail now & then, but all Fritz does is give him a big doggy kiss all over his bossy kittycat head.

Fritz Chuck Shan Waylon

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a diabetic service dog. We got him from another family whose son is diabetic but doesn't need him because he is so young and on the pump. I trained him myself with the help of a lady from Easter Seals who GIVES these dogs away to people in need. So before you look at these big companies that are gonna charge you thousands for something you need, see what else is available. Service dogs require no form of identification here in the states so people have to take your word and if they discriminate against you in any way, you are allowed to file lawsuit. Anyway, but before you buy a service dog, check around, especially Easter Seal, to see if there is a free option.

·
Banned
67 Posts
DADs

I have a diabetic service dog. We got him from another family whose son is diabetic but doesn't need him because he is so young and on the pump. I trained him myself with the help of a lady from Easter Seals who GIVES these dogs away to people in need. So before you look at these big companies that are gonna charge you thousands for something you need, see what else is available. Service dogs require no form of identification here in the states so people have to take your word and if they discriminate against you in any way, you are allowed to file lawsuit. Anyway, but before you buy a service dog, check around, especially Easter Seal, to see if there is a free option.
What breed are you working with?

·
Banned
158 Posts
Being a Registered ANKC Toy and Standard Poodle At first I didnt know I was a diabetic.

Rustie is a Toy Poodle and Rosie is a Standard poodle.

I have both of them since 4 to 5 yrs ago, they never lick my hands or face because I didnt like that. Early Last yr..Rustie and Rosie started to lick my hands, feet and my face and when I told them to stop, they did but carry on again later.

They both started to lick me like last year ever since .. but i didnt know or never realise it or think about it..

Last month, I wasn't feeling too well and start coughing for few weeks.. I thought it was my Ciggs but then when i cough out some blood.. I got worried about if I got lung Cancer from my smoking (40 to 50 sticks a day)...

Went to see a GP to check it out and have a Chest Xray.. Got the films and went back to the GP.. Everything is fine with my chest xray but my BP was shooting up to 146 / 97... So He ask me if I want to do a blood test..

My Blood test came back found out i got diabetes T2, high cholesterol & hypertension!! After I got diagnose DT2, I realise out that my dog licks me because my sugar level was high.. So now I realise what my dog was warning me since early last year 2010..

Nowadays if my sugar level is high, they will lick my hands and feet and i will go and test it.. REALLY IT IS!!

How Smart are these dogs???? (they didnt go to proper training)

PS: My Avatar is Rustie and Rosie is below Photo!
What a cutie pie!! :)

·
Banned
67 Posts
DADs

D4Hope, he is a 7th generation miniature Labradoodle
In my research, I have often found labs involved as diabetic alert dogs.
I plan to train my own. We just lost one of our dogs. I hope to use a shelter dog. There are thousands of people in need of DADs and thousands of dogs in need of a good home.

I would be interested in your training technique.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The lady who help me said that labradoodles whether standard or miniature are actually the best because they maintain their personality throughout training. They don't become robotic and unnatural. And I trained using the same technique you use to train a drug searching dog. Teach the alert, capture the scent and train it to alert on the scent. It took me about three weeks for him to do it on his own. But it might take longer for you because I am my dog's third diabetic so he was already obedience trained plus he knew kinda what he was looking for evn though each person has a different smell.

·
Banned
67 Posts
CGM vs Diabetic Alert Dog

Hey stripes, have you ever thought of getting a continuous glucose monitor (CGM)? It would alert you when you were going low. One of the moderators on this forum, Richard157 has a CGM and he says that it has really helped him out. I am sure there are dogs for alerting people with diabetes. Dogs are very smart and help many with handicaps.

They have pitted CGM vs DADs. If you drop like a rocket (brittle)
they ahvea found there is a 20 to fourty minute delay with a CGM.
A well trained dog actually worked better than a CGM with a brittle
diabetic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Stripes
I have recently trained a pup from the age of nine weeks to pick up my son's low blood sugars. He's eight years old and is T1.
I did my training through an on-line service dog trainer in the U.S. which comprised of a nine week course with weekly videos that give you all the steps to train a DAD. I loved the training and our dog gave his first spontaneous alert three weeks into training at 3 months old.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.