The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I just have a quick question. I've had strep throat for about a week and a half now and have noticed that after I eat my sugars are higher than they normally would be (even though my diet is the same). After eating I would usually have a reading of anywhere from 4.5 - 5.5 (I am eliminating a lot of carbs because I'm trying to lose weight). Now I'm getting 5.5 - 7 after eating. Is it common to have higher numbers when your sick?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Absolutely, Portia . . . any illness/upset/stress to your body can drive your sugars higher, and if you're on antibiotics and/or a steroid drug for treatment of your illness, those can raise it too. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids & continue your low-carb eating. I hope you recover quickly!

Welcome to DF and I hope you'll visit us often! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely, Portia . . . any illness/upset/stress to your body can drive your sugars higher, and if you're on antibiotics and/or a steroid drug for treatment of your illness, those can raise it too. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids & continue your low-carb eating. I hope you recover quickly!

Welcome to DF and I hope you'll visit us often! :)
Thanks for the quick response Shanny! I am on strong antibiotics right now and at least I know that the rise in my blood sugars is normal.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I had a bad spell last spring with the flu, sinus infections, antibiotics and eventually overall muscle aches for the whole summer. My bgs were through the roof even though I was eating low carb and taking the maximum metformin. When the body is under any kind of stress and the immune system is compromised your body reacts by signaling liver to changes stored glycogen into extra glucose to give you energy. Thank you body. This is why bgs are usually higher. Those of us not on insulin, just need to wait it out. If you are on insulin ask your doctor about what strategy you should use.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yup, same thing happens to me. I've had two bouts of illness since my diagnosis. I'm at the 'tail end' of a cold right now, and my sugars are finally returning to normal after a couple of days. They were all over the place, but mostly high.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.