The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i don't know if there are any diabetic crossfitters on here besides me but if there are....how has crossfit helped your diabetes and also how do you feel about being diabetic and fallowing the paleo diet???

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
So i don't know if there are any diabetic crossfitters on here besides me but if there are....how has crossfit helped your diabetes and also how do you feel about being diabetic and fallowing the paleo diet???
Would you mind explaining what a diabetic crossfitter is? And what is the paleo diet?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just meaning any diabetics that do crossfit...and the paleo diet is basically what they call the cave man diet. The Paleolithic/Paleo/Caveman/Primal Diet Defined also heres a crossfit video that shows the types of workouts i do.
I love crossfit and it has helped my blood sugars sooooo much. my long term goal is to make it to the crossfit games within the next 5 years.

·
Registered
165 Posts
not a crossfiter but will be trying p90 in january to work on my core muscles and stuff. not a strict follower of paleo diet but think my sugars are a lot better and I feel a lot better following (or at least trying to follow it)

how do you qualify for the cross fit games?

·
Registered
165 Posts
and what did the qualifers in your region (and I assume age group) have to do?

·
Registered
165 Posts
oh that's nuts but at the same time fair. good luck and happy training

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been doing CrossFit since May of 2012. That was two months before my diagnosis with type 2. It has been a tremendous help to me in bringing down my a1c. I can tell when I am traveling and not exercising as opposed to when I am home and working out 3 - 4 times per week.

As far as the paleo diet goes, I have introduced elements into my diet. The biggest problem is that, according to my dietician, the brain requires around 100 mg of carbs per day to stay healthy. In addition to that, if I don't get enough carbs, my bg will bottom out and I'll certainly feel that!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
PastorJ216 said:
I have been doing CrossFit since May of 2012. That was two months before my diagnosis with type 2. It has been a tremendous help to me in bringing down my a1c. I can tell when I am traveling and not exercising as opposed to when I am home and working out 3 - 4 times per week.

As far as the paleo diet goes, I have introduced elements into my diet. The biggest problem is that, according to my dietician, the brain requires around 100 mg of carbs per day to stay healthy. In addition to that, if I don't get enough carbs, my bg will bottom out and I'll certainly feel that!
That is a total myth about the carbs. I personally eat about 30g of carbs per day. My brain is alive and kickin :)

What kind of meds are you on?

·
Registered
4 Posts
2000mg of metformin and 5g of glipizide.

I've wondered myself about it. That's why I was careful to state that came from my dietician! I'm working on research on my own on low carbs diets and decreased brain function.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
PastorJ216 said:
2000mg of metformin and 5g of glipizide.

I've wondered myself about it. That's why I was careful to state that came from my dietician! I'm working on research on my own on low carbs diets and decreased brain function.
Well the glip will force your pancreas to kick out insulin regardless of what u eat. That's why you're having to eat carbs to cover the medicine. It will also lead to further complications down the road since the glip overtaxes an already impaired pancreas.

For some sites to help with your research check out www.dietdoctor.com/lchf and http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/. These will give you some starting info.
Also check out www.bloodsugar101.com. There's quite a bit if info there, in particular check out the medication section.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
PastorJ216 said:
How long have you been on that low of a carb diet? Is it paleo or another?
Well I was diagnosed Type 1 in January. Formally Type 2 diagnosis. Went on an insulin pump. Cut my carbs to under a 100 a day at that point. Didn't bring my numbers down enough. Cut to under 75g. Still not enough for me. Cut to under 30 at the beginning of the summer. That seems to be my magic number. Just look at dietdoctor.com/lchf :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
My doctors and I have agreed that our goal is to get off the glipizide. That's why I'm working with my exercise and diet options. I've already been able to half the glip in the first month. A1c came back much better so hoping to be off it in another few months! Thanks for the website recommendations.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The biggest problem is that, according to my dietician, the brain requires around 100 mg of carbs per day to stay healthy. In addition to that, if I don't get enough carbs, my bg will bottom out and I'll certainly feel that!
Your dietician should check recent papers. In the 1970s it was believed that the adult human brain needed 123g of carbohydrate a day to maintain a healthy function. It has since been disproved.

Original Poster:
I am not a Cross Fit person, but I do know that they originally used the Atkins diet as their recommended food plan. Due to marketing this was later changed to the Zone.

Paleo is pretty good for stabilising blood sugars, as is its close relative Primal. In fact you'll find Cross Fit people galore on the Primal forum at Marks Daily Apple.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Your dietician should check recent papers. In the 1970s it was believed that the adult human brain needed 123g of carbohydrate a day to maintain a healthy function. It has since been disproved.
I have my doubts if any serious scientist ever believed that the brain needs any number of grams of CARBS per day. The brain doesn't use "carbs", it uses glucose (or, for some of us, ketones). Carbs are not the only source of glucose, although it may seem like that to many of us at times.

Unless you are starving, the brain will get all the GLUCOSE it needs even if you consume ZERO carbs. That is because the brain (when on a completely glucose-fired "normal" diet) needs 120g of GLUCOSE per day. Your liver can easily make 200g of glucose per day from protein you consumed.

Additionally, your body knows how to favor your brain when glucose is in short supply and ketones are not available (they are only produced on a low-glucose diet - i.e., high fat - or fasting/starvation). Your cells will instantly switch on (non-pathological) insulin resistance forcing muscles, etc. to use FFAs or ketones (if available), sparing the available glucose for your brain.

If you are in ketosis, not only are ketones now available as an alternative for your brain but your brain's need for glucose also drops precipitously - at least by 2/3 and it continues to drop during keto-adaption, i.e., if you stay in a prolonged state of consistent ketosis, likely very near to zero as the large majority of the brain's cells can fuel off ketones.

Here's something I posed earlier about this very suspicious conflation we see many places between "carbs" and "glucose".

Link

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have been on and off the Paleo diet for a couple years. When I get serious about training and racing then I'm a bit better disciplined about following that protocol.

Paleo does make me feel (and compete better), but it does take more effort to properly select and prepare meals. (Yea, I get lazy about that) which is why I "fall off the bandwagon" from time to time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts