The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a relationship forged in hell anyone else experience the latter...? Discuss in no more than 100 words

Sent from my Nexus One using Diabetes

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this link I know there has been some research and studies in this area which draw a nexus between the double D ... I have experienced depression about 3 years after diagnosis of t1 it was a totally alien concept with my somewhat ignorant stance of pull yourself together.....I am convinced that the metabolic disorder that is idem has other effects on the brains delicate chemistry and am interested to know if others have similar experiences

·
Registered
633 Posts
When you are sick your entire life it is not supprising that someone would be depressed

·
Registered
930 Posts
As usual the ADA ignores the relationship between known American diet deficiencies leading to eventual diabetes and other diseases. After reading their releases I have come to the conclusion that they are functionally illiterate or just plain stupid. Sometimes I feel that they are being deliberately stupid to line their own pockets by catering to their big sponsors.

1) Americans are known to be deficient in magnesium and:

2) Americans are known to be deficient in Omega-3 fatty acids which can cause increased insulin resistance.

3) American food processors destroy any Omega-3 fatty acids that were in their products to extend shelf life.

ColaJim

·
Registered
633 Posts
As usual the ADA ignores the relationship between known American diet deficiencies leading to eventual diabetes and other diseases. After reading their releases I have come to the conclusion that they are functionally illiterate or just plain stupid. Sometimes I feel that they are being deliberately stupid to line their own pockets by catering to their big sponsors.

1) Americans are known to be deficient in magnesium and:

2) Americans are known to be deficient in Omega-3 fatty acids which can cause increased insulin resistance.

3) American food processors destroy any Omega-3 fatty acids that were in their products to extend shelf life.

ColaJim
Are you always so bitter or do need to be taking some sort of happy pills. I think the D has found another victom.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Adjitater

Are you always so bitter or do need to be taking some sort of happy pills. I think the D has found another victom.
Haha, I am not so much bitter as hostile to their deliberate stupidity as to the causes of type 2 diabetes.

And I have never been a mellow kind of guy, I was always a trouble shooter who found and got rid of the problem.

As a returning barb, don't you ever use your spelling checker? :D . Just Joking

ColaJim

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
You may have left out the biggest one: flooding our systems with glucose and fructose and starving them of essential fatty acids.

More and more, I believe this and this alone is responsible for the three-fold increase in T2 over the last 40 or 50 years.

Best treatment? Allow as LITTLE glucose and fructose as possible to even reach your bloodstream. Never mind what happens after that. It will fix itself. In other words, using exercise to lower BG is probably a bad idea - it just allows you to push more through - what got you in trouble in the first place!

Haha, I am not so much bitter as hostile to their deliberate stupidity as to the causes of type 2 diabetes.

And I have never been a mellow kind of guy, I was always a trouble shooter who found and got rid of the problem.

As a returning barb, don't you ever use your spelling checker? :D . Just Joking

ColaJim

·
Registered
633 Posts
Life style is what is to blam. That and better diagnostic tools in the medical field. No one and I mean no one works a physical type of job anymore. They all sit behind desks and eat doughnuts and drink coke. The fact is that physical activity that doubles your heart rate for extended periods of time is the best thing that you could do for yourself. Diagnoses is a big factor too. A lot of the people that are diagnosed now would not have been diagnosed 40 years ago.
This is so because many of the diagnostic tools they use today were not invented but in the last 25 or 30 years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure appropriate nutrition is a factor in depression as is living with a for now at least, a life long metabolic illness that to be effectively managed requires hourly monitoring day after day year after year ....and I say hourly because that is the truth...any time out of the green zone and into the red has an accute or chronic impact on the homeostasis and health of our bodies and minds. If our bodies had evolved to tolerate high or low blood sugars then diabetes would not present the health risks it does. Don't get me wrong I am alive today because of the curiosity of humanity and the discovery and application and development of insulin for that i am eternally grateful. In this technogical age though ..(I can communicate to the world and more through a palm held device )- incredible! I am perplexed that we have yet to develop a device that provides continuous bg monitoring the most useful device those with diabetes could ask for. The world health savings through reductions in the cost of treating long term complications and associated disabilities would at a guess be phenominal

·
Registered
633 Posts
Mine hooks up to my pump and as far as accurate they are in the ballpark. It is like using any other tool. You have to learn how to use it and what the results are telling you. If you want to know if when uo look at it will the number you see match a finger poke. Maybe is the answer. there are a lot of factors to be considered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a new member to the forum. I recently lost my career as an airline captain because of my newly diagnosed diabetes. I'm extremely bitter because flying was my life, been doing it since I was 14 years old! I don't how to do anything else but now i just sit in this chair and feel sorry for myself! Does any body know about any treatment for the physiological effects of diabetes?

·
Registered
716 Posts
dandeejet said:
I'm a new member to the forum. I recently lost my career as an airline captain because of my newly diagnosed diabetes. I'm extremely bitter because flying was my life, been doing it since I was 14 years old! I don't how to do anything else but now i just sit in this chair and feel sorry for myself! Does any body know about any treatment for the physiological effects of diabetes?
Welcome dandeejet Are you T1 or T2 -getting diabetes is depressing in itself. I know my doctor is on my case about drinking anything with Splenda or any artificial sweetener as it interferes with serotonin levels which can make one depressed. One thing sitting in a chair does nothing and is the worst thing for a diabetic. Get up open that door and get some exercise and set new challenges for yourself in life and go for it. Feeling sorry for ones self while necessary at times does nothing so get motivated and challenge yourself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Depression is disabling in itself and it is easy to say get up and get out but it really is not as simple as that (if only it were). The loss of a livelyhood and tackling the challenges of a life long health condition is a huge double whammy. Both require a significant period of mental adjustment alone. Eratic blood glucose levels have a tangible impact on mood and our bodies chemistry lows increase stress hormones and who isn't short fused and irritable when bg is high? Depression is complex and not helped by either the psycological or physiological impact of living with and managing a major metabolic illness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm a type 2, meds only right now, numbers are good with fairly good eating practices. I walk a mile or two around our high school track in Wimberley, Texas but it's gets bloody hot by 9am!

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I'm sorry to hear what you've lost, dandeejet - that's quite a blow.

There's sometimes nothing worse than hearing a story of how things could be worse, but I'm gonna do it to you anyway (forgive!)

My closest friend found out in early 2010 that she had a large brain aneurysm and had to have brain surgery to clip it. She went to the best at UCSF, all was supposed to go swimmingly, but she ended up with memory loss (they think she had a stroke during the surgery) and has pretty disabling short-term memory issues. She lost her Director job of a non-profit, a job she dearly loved, and is now unemployable. She has severe financial issues and I fear she's on the road to losing her home.

Sudden health slams cause all sorts of life disruptions, the worst of which is death of course. Fortunately, you can think, function, reason, hike, run, laugh, live -

This is in no way meant to invalidate anything you're feeling - it sucks, pure and simple. But in spite of it, you're still blessed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you moon, it's good to just share thoughts on this (the two "Ds' (diabetes and depression) website. I'll get a grip and snap out of this! Two tours of Vietnam and didn't get me and this won't either!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts