The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lost.jpg

"If you have diabetes — either type 1 or type 2 — you have an increased risk of developing depression. And if you're depressed, you may have a greater chance of developing type 2 diabetes. The good news is that diabetes and depression can be treated together. And effectively managing one can have a positive effect on the other."
Diabetes and depression: Coping with the two conditions - Mayo Clinic
I am not sure if what I deal with would actually be diagnosed as depression, but now and then the world gets a bit dark for me and I feel a bit lost. I think maybe at times I just get sick and tired of being diabetic. Has depression been a challenge for you?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes. Don't know if it is the diabetes, hormonal or what. If I was younger my mother would say 'quit feeling sorry for yourself'. Some days any little thing will set me off, other days I am good. I think perhaps right now the biggest thing is I have cut back on my fats, only eating EVOO which has really limited me to what I feel I can eat, trying to get that high cholesterol down. Getting some pressure here at home to cut back.

Reactions: Cricket

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Depression runs in my family, dad, grandfather and sister have it. I've struggled with it since I was a teenager and it usually go through phases, really bad for six months, then maybe I'm fine for a year.

The diet restrictions, dealing with always being different/difficult at a family dinner or restaurant, never being able to just go out to eat, travel without tons of planning, never getting a day off without paying for it... It sucks and of course doesn't help. :D

I just do the best I can when I am able. Sometimes that means measuring everything I eat, making meals for the week and generally being on top of things. But when I'm depressed? I just focus on taking care of myself, letting people know when I need help. Each day, I do what I can and hope to set myself up for tomorrow.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm constantly troubled by my type 1 diabetes.
It's not depression more just being burnt out by the demands
of the condition.Sometimes it affects my diet(loss of appetite)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes. I thought I was OK, but then my kidney diagnoses sent me completely off the edge. If I didn't have young kids, I would simply want to stop living. I find this life insanely painful and can never shake off the deep sadness I feel constantly.

·
Registered
495 Posts
what is your serum creatitine and GFR levels? in my case my serum creatitine has been in the range of 1.3 and 1.6 since 2004 and my GFR between low 40's and 58 (stage 2 renal disease). As a type 1 diabetic for 40 yrs, immunosuppressant meds for 12 years, 25 multi chemo treatments, 2 transplants, CHD, heart surgery and A1c ave 7.0 - 7.3 from 1977 to 2004, I have seen my kidney function stabilize for over a 12 years. I have seen people with creatitine levels between 1.7 and 2.2 and GFR low 30's who have held up long time

Yes. I thought I was OK, but then my kidney diagnoses sent me completely off the edge. If I didn't have young kids, I would simply want to stop living. I find this life insanely painful and can never shake off the deep sadness I feel constantly.

Reactions: Taso
1 - 7 of 7 Posts