The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you get on social security disability for being a diabetic? Both my mother-in-law and father-in-law are on disability for diabetes. Neither are insulin dependent and both are in decent health. She takes metformin and glipizide and he controls his with diet. I was just curious if this is common or is their case unusual.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Disability is not based on a condition/disease, but how one's condition prevents one from doing almost any job in the economy.

I can see how extreme neuropathy, blindness, or damage resulting from diabetes would be cause for disability, but diabetes alone? I think that is/would be unusual.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Are you sure they don't have some other diseases. It is very hard to go on to Social Security Disability. Usually you have to have several diseases that prevent you from working. If they are in good health how did they convince SS that they can't work. How old are they? Both my husband and I are both Diabetic and still working.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The Social Security laws are complex but I do know that if it keeps you from working on a regular basis because of numerouse hihighs resulting in DKA or lows that render you unconcious to are eligable for it. the other thing is if you are over 50 years old and in order to remain working would mean retraining or changing work lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.