The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have both diabetes type 2 and epilepsy. I was having status seizures, so they tested me for diabetes to rule it out. It turned out that with my diabetes and my epilepsy being out of control, I had seizures.

One of the complications of diabetes is seizures:

IOH Diabetes Seizures, Symptoms, Causes, Prevention, Treatment

I have to keep my diabetes under control to avoid my epilepsy seizures. That is not always easy.
Ruth

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm sorry you are having these problems. If you are really dedicated to getting your diabetes under control, I'm certain you will see the benefit.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am doing my best. Sometimes, I do not always succeed in keeping my diabetes under control. I know I have too. It is not always easy to stick to my diet and exercise plan.

Ruth

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it is a pain!! What causes yours to go out of control? Is it the epilepsy or the diabetes? What types of seizures do you have?

I have Tonic Clonic (grand mals), jerking, status, absence (petit mals) and other kinds. They have changed the names of the types of seizures.

The medicines I am on for my seizures are: Lamictal, Mysoline, Neurontin, Keppra and clonazepam. What medicines are you on?

I am glad to meet you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi

Well I have the grand mal seizures but they are not always brought on by low bms. Tiredness is a biggie with me.

I am currently on Carbamazapine (Tegretol) and Clonazapine.

I used to be on Mysoline but suffered bad depression. Also tried Dilantin but had bad side effects.

I am also glad to meet you. I have been seizure free now for about 8 years whichis the longest time ever that I have been!! I am very sensitive to my brain waves chaging so just take a bit more medication till it settles down again. Hope yours isn't giving you too much grief.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, actually I am not having too many problems with my epilepsy now. I have a few seizures a day, mainly the jerking and abscence seizures. I have not had a Tonic Clonic in a year.

Don't you just hate it when the doctors change the names of the types of seizures. Now, they have come out with more names and I have not figured them out yet.

It is a combination of all of my 5 medicines that tire me out. My doctor has cut back my Mysoline which has helped me a lot.

Ruth

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi september,

I use the glycemic index diet. This diet gives me a variety of foods that I can eat. I try to stick to the foods that are on the low to moderate index. I try to awoid the high foods that are on the index. If a food spikes my BG, I eliminate it.

Ruth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts