The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Question: Do any of you know if there is a connection between having type 2 diabetes and insomnia? I have had a whopping dose if insomnia...and wondered if diabetes can help cause same.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Hello all! Question: Do any of you know if there is a connection between having type 2 diabetes and insomnia? I have had a whopping dose if insomnia...and wondered if diabetes can help cause same.
Most experts claim a connection between Diabetes and Insomnia and there are tons of articles on the net outlining the connection. Here's one I found interesting as I'm also an insomniac:

Medscape: Medscape Access

·
Registered
930 Posts
I dunno but I have heard rumors that stress, type 2 diabetes and insomnia, and an unexplained lack of GABA is indicated. But then what is causing the lack of GABA? Perhaps the stress is primary, reducing the level of GABA, and causing sleepless nights. If you live under high stress, this may be part of the answer. So do you live under high stress?

http://www.diabetescare.net/flash_article.asp?id=445551

http://www.suite101.com/content/ltheanine-improves-sleep-and-a65390

ColaJim

·
Registered
716 Posts
ColaJim said:
I dunno but I have heard rumors that stress, type 2 diabetes and insomnia, and an unexplained lack of GABA is indicated. But then what is causing the lack of GABA? Perhaps the stress is primary, reducing the level of GABA, and causing sleepless nights. If you live under high stress, this may be part of the answer. So do you live under high stress?

http://www.diabetescare.net/flash_article.asp?id=445551

ColaJim
Good article ColaJim. Thanks for sharing it. I assume GABA might help type 2's. Nice to see forward progress in research :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've had a lot of trouble on and off with insomnia. Even though my bgs are now close to 100 most of the time, it still seems I need to get up a few times a night to use the rest room. The only thing that has helped me is taking 3 mg of Melatonin before bed. It does relax me enough to get a deeper sleep but still have the occasional sleepless night.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I usually have little trouble getting of the sleep -- usually before 10pm and I mostly sleep soundly BUT I am almost daily awake at 3:30-4am and unable to get back to sleep again.... at a certain point I just give up trying and get up before the sun. I've tried melatonin and drugs like lorazepam from my Doctor... it just helped me go to sleep faster but the sleep did not last any longer. It's been many months now.

I'll have to check out those articles. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I've tried melatonin and drugs like lorazepam from my Doctor... it just helped me go to sleep faster but the sleep did not last any longer. It's been many months now./QUOTE]

Drugs in the benzo class block stage 4 sleep and aren't good as sleep aids. Xanax is an exception, as is klonopin. But really, I'd not use a benzo for sleep.

You might ask about trazodone. It's a very old, established med, marketed as an anti-depressant, but used as a sleep aid. I've had sleep disorder due to fibromyalgia and tried a lot of meds along the way. Works for me, taken it for years, and also lots of people I know, including my 92 yr old mother w/ no ill effect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Canadiandude, ColaJim, and all who replied. Sorry to be so delayed in getting back with you. I will check the links you kindly provided. Yes, I certainly DO live under high stress - high stress, demanding job, the world we live in, the times....and having diabetes!!! In fact, dr. just put me on insulin yesterday (as my Ha1c is going up...8.7 I think it was...in my latest bloodwork)! Have been sick this year with other things, and have a stubborn sinus infection at the moment. Good news is that I may not have to be on insulin forever....if I cam successfully get my weight off, exercise, yada yada yada...
Anyway, again, thanks!!! All the best to you all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts