The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already had hypothyrodism and Hashimoto before I got diabetes last year, and I have really struggled to keep my BG as steady as possible.
Now I also got Graves, and I`ve been doing a lot of reading and googling to learn what is going on in my body and what I can do to help myself with both TPOab and TRAb in my body.
I bought a norwegian book written by a norwegian doctor, dr.Øverbye, and in this book it says that Graves will lead to unstable BG. I googled Graves and BG, and found several places that says the same.
Actually, some places they say if you have trouble at all with your metabolism, your BG will not be stabile even if you are not diabetic.
Maybe this explains some of the strange hypo I get?

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I understand the litterature correct, you are in risk of getting to low BG with Graves, and even if diabetes is not involved, you have to eat 5-6 times a day to keep your BG steady.
I wonder if it was GAD-65 autoantibodies they tested when they diagnosed mes to be diabetes type 1? In Norway they called it anti-GAD.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I don't know too much about Graves Disease but it has to do with the Adrenal Glands. Whenever stress hormones are involved, bgs could be unstable. I also find as a Diabetic I need to eat smaller meals more often to keep my bgs stable. I think what this does is to circumvent the stress hormone liver dumps.

Reactions: optimist

·
Registered
633 Posts
jwags said:
I don't know too much about Graves Disease but it has to do with the Adrenal Glands. Whenever stress hormones are involved, bgs could be unstable. I also find as a Diabetic I need to eat smaller meals more often to keep my bgs stable. I think what this does is to circumvent the stress hormone liver dumps.
Wrong
Graves is an autoimmune disease of the thyroid glands. It leads to an elevated metabolic rate, increased heart rate, and sleep problems. It is like being on speed all day every day until it finally kills you. What the OP has is more than likely Graves caused by an over medication of Hoshimotos and just needs a medication adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have both Hashimoto and Graves, and I`m not overmedicated since my body wont accept Levaxin (which is the medication you get when you have hypothyrodism).
I have adrenal fatigue, but not so much that the doctors will do anything, but most likely this is the reason why I get hard hyperthyroid symptoms if I try to increase the amount of Levaxin
It seems like I`m just an experiment for the doctors. Since I have so many different autoimmune diseases there is a great risk to try to cure the Graves, so the doctors have chosen not to do anything at all and hopes that the high TPOab (my reading is 2518 and it is supposed to be under 35) will balance the TRAb (my reading is 2,8 and is supposed to be under 1).
I haven`t found anything written at all about this way to treat anyone before, so I have no idea what will happen in the future, but I just wondered if this mix could be the reason I have several hypo each day and I cant understand why.
I take Lantus 8 unit once a day (it starts to work about 6-7 hours after I take the shot), and I havent used Humalog for a couple of weeks since it doesnt work anymore. I never eat more than 5 carbo for each meal, get high readings the next 2 hours and then comes the hypo....
Quite irritating!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Have your Drs. done an ACTH tolerance test on you to eliminate Addison's disease. What you describe sounds like what I went through about eight years ago.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I don't know much about Graves and won't pretend to. However, the concept of accelerated "metabolism" caught my attention. Does this mean GLUCOSE metabolism in particular? No surprise this topic is coming up on diabetic forums.

Diabetes is caused by excessive processing of glucose, meaning insufficient processing of alternative energy sources. This skewed metabolism leads the body to defend itself, rejecting so much glucose by what we call insulin resistance. This view of IR as your body's defense mechanism makes much more sense to me than just looking at it as a "disease".

Some details of this theory here..

And yes, it appears that Graves disease involves not just hyper-active "metabolism" but glucose metabolism in particular:

Glucose & Graves Disease

I would think the logical step here prior to engaging in harsh pharmaceuticals with side effects and interactions would be to simply sharply reduce the incoming glucose. Incidentally, this is also the best approach to severe hypoglycemia - frequent meals but as little glucose-producing foods as possible.

Instead of just calling everything a disease and jumping to endless pharmaceuticals, wouldn't it make more sense to understand the underlying process, where it has gone wrong and if there are simpler, more natural ways to approach reversing the condition?

Just speculation, but it seems pretty clear to me.

Do these conditions which cause hyper [GLUCOSE] metabolism have similar disruptive effects if there is very, very little glucose and the body's metabolism is mainly based on free fatty acids and ketones? I doubt it.

Alas, unless Ansel Keys is finally put to rest, we don't see doctors suggesting this even if it is true.

Reactions: ColaJim

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Have your Drs. done an ACTH tolerance test on you to eliminate Addison's disease. What you describe sounds like what I went through about eight years ago.

The doctors finally accepted me wanted to take a cortisol-spit-test, which show that I have adrenal farigue, but in Norway they only treat the fatigue if it is so bad that you have Addison`s disease, and my levels are just borderline.
I use Seretide for my asthma and this contains cortison which makes the test not reliable, so the doctors have concluded I dont need treatment for my adrenals, at least not yet.
I will ask for an ACTH tolerance test.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I understand how Graves are working, it makes all the process in the body to go to fast.
The heartbeat, the pulse and every other process in the body, included the metabolism, work very quick. Its hard to sleep and the whole body seems to be restless.
For myself I can say its really hard when the heart is puonding in my ears, the pulse is high, (110 and more) and I have to eat at least 2300 calories each day for not loosing weight, even if I live LCHF, and then there are all those hypo each day. I cant quite understand why I get those hypos eating as i do and taking so little insulin as I do. This is why I suspect the Graves to have something to do with it.
I also get cramps in my chest, stomach and left arm a couple of times each week, and they last sometimes only a couple of hours, and sometimes for as long as 36 hours.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am hypothyroid, I've been on synthroid for about 32 years. My thyroid gave up completely about 15 years ago.

My synthroid dosage has been very stable for many years, and has not hampered my glucose control at all until last summer.

I was getting lows in the 50's, sometimes once or twice a day. To put this in perspective, more lows in 1 month than the previous 4 years combined.

My Doctor figured it out. I lost 13 pounds in 3 months, which meant my synthroid dose was too high (by 2 steps), which sped up my metabolism.
No wonder I was having lows! On the new dosage of synthroid, my glucose is now again stable as a rock.

-Lloyd

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A little update;
I have struggled more and more with cramps, a puls that seems to be a rollercoaster (it is sometimes 50 and something and then it jumps to over 130), lots of headache, extreme sweating, etc.
My endo think I could have Pheochromocytoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is tumour in the adrenal. This leads to me getting way to much adrenal when the tumours decides to.
The endo will also have to see an cardioligist for checking if all the cramps have done any damage to my heart, and to check my pulse for a week (in Norway they call it "Holter-registration").
She also told me I dont have a normal insulin resistance, but my body sometimes shut down and refuse the insulin to work, but other times it open to much and the insulin acts way to fast. What saves me is a very strict LCHF, she says.

I`m looking forward to be ready with all the testing, so I dont have to worry if I have tumour or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts