The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding diabetes and osteoarthritis.
I have type 2 diabetes and take metformin twice a day.My last 3 month blood work indicated a blood sugar level of 7.3.
I have an osteoarthritis problem in my feet and am currently recieving disabillity payments from my work insurance program.
I am worried that the insurance company may say that my osteoarthritis is caused by my diabetes.If they could determine this it would give them cause to stop paying me as they could claim that my osteoarthritis was caused by a pre-existing medical condition (my diabetes).
Given the fact that my diabetes is not very severe I am highly doubtfull that this is the cause but am wondering if anyone knows how severe diabetes would have to be to induce osteoarthritis.I am very worried and any input would be greatly apprciated . thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not sure how much help I can be on this. But I will give it a try.

My thoughts would be if they are covering you for diabetes and the osteoarthritis started after already being on the plan that is paying you disability then I don't believe it is considered a pre-existing condition. Just like if a diabetic had complications from the diabetes that required major surgery their insurance couldn't deny it as a preexisting condition yet be paying for diabetes meds. But I'm not an expert on this and there is probably a little difference between medical insurance and disability insurance.

You might try finding a forum with insurance experts in it I think the question is less diabetes related and more insurance related.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts