The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a lot of younger women I talk to have mentioned that, like me, they have both Diabetes and PCOS.

My endocrinologist explained to me that my Diabetes was brought on by my having PCOS, which weakened an already genetically weak pancreas. I've apparently been living with PCOS, undiagnosed, for at least 12 years - and we're only now investigating it. (Additionally, my doc was confident that I am incapable of having children... which hasn't been all that wonderful to discover).

I'm wondering how many women here also have PCOS? And how long did you have PCOS before Diabetes? How linked are these two?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Actually the cause / effect relaqtionship of PCOS and Insulin resistance is controversial. Some believe it is the opposite of what your endo said -- D caused PCOS.

In either case, a "weak pancreas" has no role in what is going on -- insulin resistance can in fact lead to OVER-production of insulin, nothing weak about a pancreas that can do that.

I have read quite a bit on PCOS, because I was hirsute, but had perfectly regular periods. And during 2 lap surgeries, my ovaries looked normal. So I kept wondering and reading ... I may have had a sublclinical variant, but that's about it.

And sketch'd -- how d oyou eat? Low-carbing may alleviate your PCOS symptoms ...

Add to that, there is a higher-proportion of TYPE 1's who have PCOS, so that is another odd twist ...

DO NOT assume you are infertile -- if you want to know that, you need to consult a reproductive endocrinologist. Most of the time I think women with PCOS can conceive and carry, with help.

O

·
0 Posts
hi Sketch'd :) I was diagnosed with both diabetes type 2 and PCOS at the exact same time... and I was 25yo. It was explained to me by the endocrinologist that I had the PCOS first and that this is a known precursor to diabetes. It is believed that is why I developed type 2 diabetes at a young age. Although I dare say I possibly had both undiagnosed for some time... especially PCOS. My endo explained that it is likely I've always had PCOS. But this diagnosis I was unsure of and I did question it again later as I don't recall any blood tests being done for PCOS. I was told that I had all the symptoms and plus I've had cysts on and off so there is no need for further testing. I've not been told I can't get pregnant, although I'm aware from what I've read that it may be a problem for some women. I was labelled as having metabolic syndrome as I had all the stuff that affects my metabolism not functioning properly. They gave me a chance to control diabetes with diet and exercise at first... that worked for a couple of years... then it progressed to needing medication.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts