The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. This is my first post as a new person to the site.

I am 34 years old and have had diabetes since I was 16. I use Novarapid and Lantus Glargine. In the UK, this is free of charge on the NHS, along with my needles and test strips etc. We are trying to decide whether to emmigrate to Australia or not, having been granted residency.

Does anybody know from personal experience the level of care in Australia from moving in either direction? Are the same things monitored such as eyes photographs and all the other complications possible? Is treatment available quickly for any complications? Are flu jabs etc provided foc? Are the same insulins available and what sort of day to day costs are people having to pay in Australia? I know that I would have to pay for insulin through medicare and that test strips and needles are subsidised through the NDSS.

In particular we are looking at Tasmania if things vary state to state.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Simon

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hi there, Insulin you pay for but subsidized, Hypodermics are free, test strips are not controlled buy doctors. Talk to your conciliate and ask about Australia. So it's almost the same. ;):D

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Simon, welcome to Diabetes Forum! Peter is a good contact for you since he lives in Australia.

If you need any help with any other topic, please let us know. Good luck with your relocation.

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts