The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of/used Diabetes Center of America? My rheumatologist recommended I see one, as they are one-stop shopping, and that's all they do is diabetes, unlike many endocrinologists, who either brush off diabetes or pile on additional dx because diabetes itself is not a money-maker.

Unfortunatly, there are none within about 100+ miles of me, but it might be worth it if I can get some real help. Opinions, please!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I haven't heard of them and can't seem to find much info when I google them. The best way I and many of the members here have found to get great control of their bg is through following the low carb/high fat way of eating. You can get a great introduction to that here.

My initial feeling is that any place the dr is sending you will be an ADA recommended place following all the things that will lead to more meds and complications later along the way.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I also Googled them, and, like GrammaB, I could find little info. They do tout their Advanced Weight-Loss Program, which is based on "Robard meal replacement beverages and bars," which is far too brand-specific for my own liking.

Also, foods labeled "diabetic" tend to be high-carb. Stupid, but true.

My guess is that you would receive ADA-approved information there. From what little I can see, they may (or may not) be able to help some with insulin dosing methods, but not with much more.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Well, using Yahoo I found this - Home | DiabetesAmerica.com and in the search page I found this interesting quote
diabetes center of america - a potent cure diabetes - Kombucha Tea -
None of this contradicts in any way the views expressed by grammaB and the quote sets me immediately on guard. Whether they are ADA followers or just plain snake oil suppliers is something I don't feel inclined to check!

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
... but it might be worth it if I can get some real help.
If you are having some problems with blood sugar control, you could post a thread on this forum about it and receive some real help here. (I'd recommend a new thread rather than this one so more people would respond to your questions.)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Kombucha tea is being sold at a local food market here. The ingredients look high carb to me. Appears to be piling on to the juicing fad that's once more around the northeast.

If that's the deal, I wouldn't go.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I understand that real has shown some benefit for some for arthritis and CVD but does nothing for Diabetes (largely for the reason Tamagno cited). What this version offers is, I suspect, is a lot more doubtful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts