The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first of all express my appreciation of this wonderful site for the valuable information it provides to the Diabetic Forum Community.

I am 60 and I am a type2 diabetic for the last 22 years depending on oral drugs .My diabetic control was fairly good with HbA1c close to 7.5 until recently .I am a vegetarian and I regularly walk briskly in the morning ,do yoga exercises and my diet control is fairly good. I supplement my diabetic drugs with natural adjunct such as bitter melon juice taken on empty stomach. Despite this, recently my HbA1c level has increased to 8.5 with a fasting glucose level of 185 mg/dl :Increasing the dosage and /or altering the drugs have not improved the blood sugar. I otherwise feel fit and fine .I am wondering whether it is time for me to switch over to insulin shots from oral drugs (of course in consultation with my diabetologist). I would like to know if any one from this community had similar experience after a prolonged period of administration of oral drugs. Thanks for your response

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, welcome to Diabetes Forum! I do know several Type 2 diabetics who had to use insulin when their medications were no longer working properly. After adjusting to insulin they are having very good results now.

Ask all the questions you want. We will do the best we can to help you.

Richard

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome aboard, Ramchandran. So happy to meet you. It sounds like you've come to the point where you need a new tool in your diabetes toolbox, and insulin is a wonderful one which provides great control. Consult with your doctor & make the decision, but do consider it a very good weapon in your campaign against diabetes. You won't be sorry for going on insulin.

Thank you for joining us! I hope you'll come often to chat with us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts