The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am a T1 diabetic since 20 years now. I have 2 daughters and wife and we live together in Mumbai.

Obviously you all are more interested to discuss diabetes/health here, so let me jump straight to the point. And though I have had my share of bad times managing my disease/disorder but am now on top of it and would love to share my experiences especially if it can be of any help to others like me.

Here are my stats:
Age, Height & Body Weight: 46 years, 5' 9" & 72 Kgs
BMI: 23.5 (mostly because of muscle weight, I exercise 4 days/week)
HbA1c: 4.8 (with no severe hypos that I can remember)
Therapy: Insulin Pump, Humalog 45 units/day

I have no cholesterol issues, neuropathic feet or retina issues plus all my reports as of Jan 2015 are within normal range.

Being a Type 1 I can not be off Insulin unless a cure comes but I still feel that I have been able to defeat my diabetes!

May the force be with you,

Muslim Kapasi

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My thinking is that you've been able to control your diabetes very well, and I have to ask what other tools do you use for management, Muslim, besides your pump? What kinds of food do you eat? An A1c of 4.8 is great, if you aren't having hypos - at least that you can remember, eh? In all 20 years, have you never developed any insulin resistance?

It looks like you've done well. And welcome to our diabetes forum. :cool:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Muslim, welcome. I have been type 1 for 69 years, and I have good diabetes health, but I have not defeated my diabetes. I am glad you do not feel you are cured. I am using an average 34 units of insulin (basal + bolus) each day with my pump. Sometimes I forget to bolus and have a high blood sugar in the range 160-200. That shows I have not defeated my diabetes.

Have you read the book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh? It is a very good reference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts