The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Administrator
2,737 Posts
Hi, rtfox! Welcome to our community. I'm glad you've joined us!

A diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes is supposed to take a few measurements into account. A1c is a measure that pretty decently covers about three months of blood sugar/insulin balance. It also is possible to suspect diabetes if fasting blood glucose numbers are repeatably high (equal to or greater than 126 mg/dL on two separate tests). What was your A1c? And was another test taken to determine if the 183 was an outlier?

I will preface the rest of my post with the comment that we here are not medically-trained and cannot issue medical advice. However, my experience of several years in this community is that 2000 mg of Metformin is a pretty big dose to start with on someone whose fasting blood glucose numbers are routinely in the low 100s. I wonder if your doctor didn't react/overreact to the 183, particularly if you were not scheduled for another test then or shortly afterward. Of course, we don't know all the details. Lots of things can affect blood glucose, and even those of us who control our BG pretty tightly can see high fasting blood glucose numbers after a carb-laden meal the night before, if we're getting sick or have an infection, etc. That number by itself, in my opinion, should not have started you on 2000 mg Metformin daily.

What you experienced does not seem like a common way to be diagnosed a Type 2 diabetic. I would suggest that it would be worth contacting your care team with the information you gave us -- that that much Metformin is causing issues for you and that the Dexcom (which I'm assuming is properly set up) is reporting the numbers you're getting -- and then see if they're willing to explain why the level of Metformin you were prescribed or whether they need to revisit their testing to get a more accurate picture.

And here is where I will put in a plug for us being our own best advocates. I know doctors go to school for years to gain the education they need to keep us healthy, but sometimes things escape their attention or they work from old information. It is in our best interests to keep up with what our bodies are tellling us and what we learn about the condition and its treatment. Many of us here have avoided the all-too-typical path of "carb up and shoot up" that leads to issues down the road, simply by arming ourselves with information,

Please update us on this. I'm eager to find out what is happening.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts