The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon,

4 months ago, I had a A1C test as part of my annual physical. My fasting blood sugar in the morning was extremely high (183). I had slightly elevated blood sugars for a while (high 120's fasting). My doctor diagnosed me with Type II diabetes and put me on Metformin (1000 mg twice per day). I had very severe side effects on the metformin. I went to 500mg in the morning and 1000mg at night. I cut it back to 500mg in the morning, and 500mg at night. The just 500 mg at night.

I recently got a Dexcom 6 and am monitoring my blood sugar continuously. I stopped taking the metformin to see what my blood sugar is normally.
Without the metformin, my blood sugar stays in the low 100's until after I eat, and then it goes up to around 160 and comes back down after a while which is normal.

On the metformin, my blood sugar drops so low at night, my Dexcom cannot even read it which is kind of scary...

My question, is with this one A1C reading, should I have been diagnosed with Diabetes at all... Or was there more tests I needed before getting this diagnosis? Or is this a common way to get diagnosed?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
I am changing doctors. It was not only the immediate diagnosis, but also refusing to work with me on the metformin and other things. I set up and calibrated the Dexcom per the instructions.
In the past, I know when my BG is high, as I get MASSIVELY tired when it does as my insulin spikes, This has stopped since I modified my diet.

I will keep you updated....

and thank you

1 - 2 of 2 Posts