The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am 27 years old. About 6 months ago I noticed that I had to excuse myself in meetings etc to pop to the toilet. I have noticed that over the past six months I have been drinking more than at any previous stage of my life, but I always told that drinking water is good for you, so I never saw it as a bad or worrying thing.
More recently, say in the past 3 months or so, I have noticed that in the mornings I awake to a desperate urge to urinate.

I went to my doctor a few days ago who did a finger prick blood test and said my sugar level was high. At that point he said I might have diabetes and that I need to go and get blood tests done (which I did today). So I am now waiting results. My father has diabetes. Unfortunately I am no longer in contact with him, but I know he has it and injects quite frequently etc.

I am generally feeling quite unwell. Even after going to the toilet to pee, I seldomly feel that I am properly relieved. I am finding it hard to concentrate on anything, and I feel absolutely exhausted. I have a tender pain in my buttocks, and my balls feel dull/heavy uncomfortable. I have a headache and my lower abdomen also feels painful.

One of my main concerns at the moment is this:

I am trying to write a thesis - and the exhaustion throughout the day often results in me crashing out in bed for hours and hours. IF it is confirmed to me that I do have diabetes, is there any kind of medicine or anything that could make me feel less drained and exhausted. If I was less exhausted and this constant urge to urinate was gone or improved - then perhaps I could point out a direction for the future.

Yours, Worried Guy.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Your doctor will surely prescribe proper meds commensurate with what your tests reveal. There are two main types of diabetes, and you'll need to know which you are. Young people like yourself are often type 1, which is an autoimmune disorder and requires insulin to maintain. If you are diagnosed as type 2, or possibly type 1.5, you could be put on oral meds, or perhaps even just diet & exercise.

What you can do while you're waiting is cut back sharply on your carbohydrate intake, and try to give your struggling pancreas a little breather. Avoiding foods like bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, and sweets will make a marked difference in how you feel. But don't go hungry - that doesn't help either. Just eat your fill of protein & fats. (I just posted to another thread a little of how my own food regimen looks - it's the "April 2010" thread on this same Introductions board.)

You'll be needing a meter to test your blood sugar levels every day, and those are readily available - chain stores often have their own house brand of meters & test strips, which are cheaper and just as accurate.

The waiting is the most exasperating part, but you can begin making adjustments while you wait - they're going to be part of the package anyhow, you may as well get started early! :D

I hope your doctor's office isn't slow in notifying you - keep after them if you don't hear in a day or so. In this day and age, labs don't need weeks to get their job done - modern technology works in 30 minutes sometimes. And keep us posted too . . . we're all pulling for you!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am 27 years old. About 6 months ago I noticed that I had to excuse myself in meetings etc to pop to the toilet. I have noticed that over the past six months I have been drinking more than at any previous stage of my life, but I always told that drinking water is good for you, so I never saw it as a bad or worrying thing.
More recently, say in the past 3 months or so, I have noticed that in the mornings I awake to a desperate urge to urinate.

I went to my doctor a few days ago who did a finger prick blood test and said my sugar level was high. At that point he said I might have diabetes and that I need to go and get blood tests done (which I did today). So I am now waiting results. My father has diabetes. Unfortunately I am no longer in contact with him, but I know he has it and injects quite frequently etc.

I am generally feeling quite unwell. Even after going to the toilet to pee, I seldomly feel that I am properly relieved. I am finding it hard to concentrate on anything, and I feel absolutely exhausted. I have a tender pain in my buttocks, and my balls feel dull/heavy uncomfortable. I have a headache and my lower abdomen also feels painful.

One of my main concerns at the moment is this:

I am trying to write a thesis - and the exhaustion throughout the day often results in me crashing out in bed for hours and hours. IF it is confirmed to me that I do have diabetes, is there any kind of medicine or anything that could make me feel less drained and exhausted. If I was less exhausted and this constant urge to urinate was gone or improved - then perhaps I could point out a direction for the future.

Yours, Worried Guy.
Welcome to the forum! I hope you get your results soon just so you will know exactly what the problem is so you can get started on a plan to getting better.

If you do have diabetes, it isnt the end of the world, I promise :) I know you feel tired and just generally yucky. Often in uncontrolled diabetes the exhaustion is just incredible and it takes everything you have just to get moving and not want to sleep all the time. I can assure you, once your blood sugar comes under control you will feel better than you have in a very long time. Your energy levels and your mental acuity will come back to you :)

While you are waiting for your results, it would be a really good idea for you to start now controlling your carbohydrate intake. Carb control is the *key* to blood sugar control. it isnt just a matter of avoiding "sweets". A nice *so-called healthy* baked potato is just as detrimental to your blood sugar as a bowl of cake frosting is. Start now restricting any foods with high fructose corn syrup, sugar, white bread, white potaoes, white rice, pasta and too many fruits. Stick with whole grains instead and I would even limit those for now. Once you have a diagnosis and a treatment plan set up, you and your doctor can come up with a diet plan for you. Typically, there will be carb restrictions as I have indicated already. Once your blood sugar is back down to a more normal level you can start trying to add or subract amounts of carbs as your body can tolerate them. We often tell people...eat to your meter...testing your blood sugar at home is essential to discovering what foods your body likes and what ones it doesnt.

There are lots of people here that are proof that not only can you live with diabetes...you can thrive with it. Many people actually have overall improvement of their health after diagnosis!

Keep us up on your results....we are all "fingers-crossed" for you! Feel free to ask any questions you might have or just need to blow off some steam :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

I just want to say thanks a million for the 2 kind responses thus far. Very considerate. I still have a painful abdomen, and now that I've been online I feel that it could even be bladder cancer or something like that, because I haven't been drinking much but still peeing. The mind goes crazy sometimes. I have previously been very ill with lymphoma and received a lot of chemo for that (a hell of a lot).

I foned the doctor's and the secretary said, the tests came back saying: no action needed. I have asked to see the doctor 2moro. I am praying now that's it's an infection or diabetes rather than something even worse!

This entire week has been wasted worrying, and I hope to get some answers either way tomorrow. I don't even have the energy to have a shower or do anything constructive at the moment. But I'm going to try to force myself.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
An acute bladder infection could sure produce symptoms like yours . . . and since you ARE seeing the doc again, be sure to ask for a copy of your blood test results. Reassurance from the secretary is not nearly as concrete as having the actual numbers in your files! Just my opinion, of course . . . ;)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Anthony, welcome to Diabetes Forum. I hope you find good information here. If you need help or want to ask questions, start your own discussion here in this forum. We want to help.

Richard

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
hi, this is Anthony Nelson. I stay in new york and welcome to all. I am new to this forum and quite interested in reading the news.
Hello Anthony Nelson and welcome! Tell us about yourself and how you manage your diabetes. There is a wealth on information to be found on here and you will get a lot of help and support! Stop by often and take care!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts