The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister-in-law works at an Olive Garden and she tells me that someone who applied for a serving position there was turned down - well, not called back - for the job because she revealed casually in conversation that she's diabetic. She was never actually offered a job, just filled out an application, but it sounds like discrimination to me. My sister in law says it's because the wait staff is required in their training to sample all the dishes, desserts and wines on the menu, and the management felt that she wouldn't be able to do this as a diabetic.

Thoughts?

And while I was googling this, I came across this thread involving discrimination as well.

» Can Anything Be Done Legally About A Diabetic Coworker Who Tests Her Blood And Injects Insulin At Her Desk? Diabetes Questions & Answers

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well if sampling all dishes is a job requirement I can see where they might have a case. As a national corporation, I am sure they have their policies in writing and their ducks in a row.

As th that link .... OMG I inject at my desk all the time. I probably DO offend some people, but my attitude was the same as most respondents in the the thread: get over it. You may be next ...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if sampling all dishes is a job requirement I can see where they might have a case. As a national corporation, I am sure they have their policies in writing and their ducks in a row.

As th that link .... OMG I inject at my desk all the time. I probably DO offend some people, but my attitude was the same as most respondents in the the thread: get over it. You may be next ...
I can see if it's the receptionist at the front desk but if its in a back office somewhere, just turn your head away.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerhhhhm ... well, I will admit to once absentmindedly injecting on the front desk ... but it is a medical library, too! :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have seen plenty of people being discriminated against for being diabetic, whether it was at work or among friends and strangers. I even get discriminated against a bit even though I havent been diagnosed OFFICIALLY yet but this whole ordeal with me and the endicrinologist appts and doctor every week, etc etc ya people noticed.

It's sad but unfortunately anytime someone is "different" or "not normal" they are the outsiders. :( I feel soo sorry for people who have to go through that and there are laws protecting people from it. If she feels like she was being discriminated against because of her condition that's "Discrimination against disabled" people and that's punishable in the court of law.

She could have easily gotten a job in the office! No need to taste foods. Ahhhh stuff like that makes me furious...cant wait to graduate law school and bring justice!

By the way, I LOOVE OLIVE GARDEN! :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think if your disease prevents you from doing a part of your job, I don't think it is discrimination. My daughter worked her way through college as a waitress, but was a vegetarian and often lost opportunities because she would not taste meat dishes. There are some jobs that if you use insulin you may be barred from the job because they are afraid of lows while you are working.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think if your disease prevents you from doing a part of your job, I don't think it is discrimination. My daughter worked her way through college as a waitress, but was a vegetarian and often lost opportunities because she would not taste meat dishes. There are some jobs that if you use insulin you may be barred from the job because they are afraid of lows while you are working.
I don't think it would really prevent her from doing the job. My sister in law says that all the wait staff use the same basically scripted responses when they get asked about the dishes because they say the same things over and over all day long.

·
Registered
105 Posts

They could still have given her a JOB that didnt require the things that she cant do (such as tasting certain foods, etc). There is always a way. I think its just a bunch of excuses. :(

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think most places have a lot more applications now a days then applicants. I'm not sure they have to give a reason for not hiring you. My kids have applied for plenty jobs that they never got. My daughter who lives in California would apply to 10 places a day. It took her 7 months to find a job. She has a college degree and experience. Quite frankly if I am not sure I would share the fact that I was diabetic until after you are hired. Then if they fire you , you definitely have a case for discrimination.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think most places have a lot more applications now a days then applicants. I'm not sure they have to give a reason for not hiring you. My kids have applied for plenty jobs that they never got. My daughter who lives in California would apply to 10 places a day. It took her 7 months to find a job. She has a college degree and experience. Quite frankly if I am not sure I would share the fact that I was diabetic until after you are hired. Then if they fire you , you definitely have a case for discrimination.
I have a degree and 20 years in the field and still can't find a job after three years trying. It's made me so paranoid about being unemployed again I wouldn't tell anyone I'm diabetic. Companies will make up a reason to get rid of anyone they think will be an insurance burden to them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a degree and 20 years in the field and still can't find a job after three years trying. It's made me so paranoid about being unemployed again I wouldn't tell anyone I'm diabetic. Companies will make up a reason to get rid of anyone they think will be an insurance burden to them.
so true. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts