The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys have probably seen this, I hadn't. So on this page is the so-called "diabetic food pyramid": What I need to know about Eating and Diabetes - National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse

It seems specificallly worse than even the regular pyramid (though I'm rusty on my pyramids...)

The foundation of this pyramid? Starches. At top, things we shouldn't eat so much - fats and sweets lumped together.

Well, if the internet didn't exist, we'd still all have met as roomies in critical care.

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The 'food pyramid' ideas are a crock o' poop.

Pardon my rude language, but I feel that strongly about it.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't know why they are calling that a 'diabetic' food pyramid; it is the same as the regular pyramid.
File:USDA Food Pyramid.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The food pyramid was changed in 2005 to be even more confusing and weird.
File:MyPyramidFood.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now we have the new 'plate' guide. I guess it is a bit easier for the people to understand and implement. Vegetables and grains are now about equal in servings. That's probably ok for most people, probably not most diabetics though.
USDA's MyPlate - Home page

·
Registered
741 Posts
I can't even imagine how much insulin I would need to eat the recommended diet....it's mind boggling

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
The text version can be found in my workplace's lobby, in our "health" brochures display.

And, kiddies -- Don't forget to balance all those grains with a nice piece of fruit!

Think I'll stop here before I get kicked off the Internet.

(You're right, Deena. They don't make an insulin syringe that big ...)

·
Registered
741 Posts
lol...I think laughing is the best thing to do to those 'experts' they don't expect us to laugh...

if they kick you off you'll have a nice landing pad of the rest of us!

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Amazing -- on the same page, target BG levels, and that debacle of diet!

What we have here are a cognitive dissonance!!! :ban:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
IMHO and for what it is or isn't worth - I think the only peeps that 'benefit' from the new plate method are the healthcare professionals and the pharmaceutical companies. The doctors benefit because we would all lose decent control of our diabetes, gain even more weight and need more medicine and insulin. I'd call that job security for them. Makes a person wonder if they even want us to get better?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Holy cow!!! Sometimes ignorance really is bliss - I never even knew there was a published "Diabetes Food Pyramid". Oh, wait. I see....eat this way and you'll worsen your diabetes. It's all in how you look at things I guess!

Jen

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I found that really frightening! And to think it's from people we pay to help us with our health. Scary indeed to think many people read it and follow it. We do need some changes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts