The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mainstream media today in only interested is sensationalism - where ever they can find it. Journalism today is not interested in the facts and they publish most everything without checking. That is why I do not subscribe to most print media.

I don't even trust most TV newscasts because of the bias toward the sensational or the "blame game".

·
Registered
344 Posts
Mainstream media today in only interested is sensationalism - where ever they can find it. Journalism today is not interested in the facts and they publish most everything without checking. That is why I do not subscribe to most print media.

I don't even trust most TV newscasts because of the bias toward the sensational or the "blame game".
+1 plus some garble because +1 is only two characters and won't let me post. What I am saying is I agree with the above post. Whew.

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
The article says, "more people are developing obesity-related Type 2 diabetes, and people who have it are living longer."

I too believe this accurate ... and does NOT imply causation. And YES there are slender T2's ... and obese LADA's and T1s.

And, I personally think my weight gain was a SYMPTOM of metabolic malfunction, rather than the cause.

I also think there are many causes of the metabolic derangement that causes hyperglycemia. Read a few papers, heck even websites!

·
Registered
633 Posts
The article says, "more people are developing obesity-related Type 2 diabetes, and people who have it are living longer."

I too believe this accurate ... and does NOT imply causation. And YES there are slender T2's ... and obese LADA's and T1s.

And, I personally think my weight gain was a SYMPTOM of metabolic malfunction, rather than the cause.

I also think there are many causes of the metabolic derangement that causes hyperglycemia. Read a few papers, heck even websites!
I couldn't agree more. As a type 1 that is fighting weight gain my doctor has told me that it will be very hard with the amount of insulin that I need to take. It seems that insulin not works on metabolizing glucose but fat as well. So in type 2 the more insulin that your pancrease puts out trying to control the glucose the more weight you will gain. So that would make weight gain a symptom not the cause and that the way people eat is what triggers the symptoms. The more carbs that are eaten, the more insulin is produced, the more weight that will be gained. And I can hear what is being said, and yes there are exceptions to everything in life as there is with this.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
the media is dumb

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
One of my pet peeves in when politicians get involved in telling us we all have to eat a certain way to prevent Diabetes. Because Diabetes is bankrupting our nation. They always make it sound like we are overweight couch potaotes, who sit around and eat cheese doodles all day. Before Diabetes I led a very active life. I was either in the gym or on the tennis court every day for at least 2 hours. I tried to eat to the Food Pyramid ( the Pyramid of death) and ate tons of whole grains, tons of fruit and veggies and very little fat. The very diet they are trying to get us all to eat is the diet that attributed to my diabetes. I doubt I would have been able to prevent diabetes, but I think if I had started low carb earlier I would have been able to delay it a few years. First of all, our government needs to stop being afraid of Fat and start being afraid of Carbs.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Even though I am Type 1 I still feel this stigma. As most of you know, I was diagnosed at 21 and most people assume it was because I was over weight even though it was Type 1. I still feel nervous telling people I am diabetic sometimes because I know the public perception of the disease.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am so tired of health show and the media saying this. I feel it is to say that we are driving up health costs. Then the point of living too long bothers me. It implies we should live very short lives.
I am overweight due to MS and my inability to exercise for long. An MS med I was taking to help me gave me BS in the 400's.
When my MS is good I can exercise and loose weight. I resent that all the publicity makes it seem that diabetics are lazy slobs with no self control. With diabetes a person has to have so much self control.
This has been a pet peeve of my for awhile.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have three online friends who are very much overweight, and are T1. One has a thyroid condition, the other two used steroids for a few years before being diagnosed. Two of them were misdiagnosed as T2 because of the overweight, but a second opinion from an endo proved they were T1. All three of them eventually developed insulin resistance, so they are T1 but are taking a T2 med. Indeed there are many T2 diabetics who were not overweight when diagnosed. Too many doctors and organizations are guilty of stereotyping and basing diagnosis on weight and/or age. Too often the appropriate tests for typing are not given. I have even heard of an endo occasionally making a hasty and incorrect diagnosis. If it is that bad in the US, what is it like in many other countries where the medical knowledge is so much more lacking?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have lost count the number of people who have said, once I tell them I am diabetic, "but you're not fat...". I just take it as a media myth and don't get annoyed by it these days. I had that perception when I wasn't diagnosed with diabetes. Media folks are slow, lazy, sensationalist hacks, there ain't nothing to do about it - just is what it is.

Having said that, the article does nicely skirt the issue and doesn't directly associate all T2 with diabetes. Lazy journalism. Simple as that (and I am a journalist....).

·
Registered
18 Posts
What I eat determines my BG level. I'm T2 and I have very high readings when I stray from the regimen. I would really love to eat pancakes and orange juice three times a week - but if I do that, things will not go well. Do I "cheat" sometimes? Of course! But I am usually pretty good at knowing what my BG number is based on experience, and I test often. It's all about diet.
the media is dumb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts