The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
One month back suddenly i started losing weight 75 kg to 67 Kg.

Blood test revealed that I have Type 2 and HB A1C is 13.1.

I took metaformin 500mg -2 times a day for almost 20 days i stopped because of i am loosing weight further.

I changed my diet for 1 month and tested HB A1C is 10.6.

Currently i stopped Medication and eating very less salt, oil. i am using Accu-check active meter to test blood sugar - Fasting 106 after food (2 hours) - 140 to 160 .

Controlled diet and No exercise my readings are below:
Fasting: 106
After Food : 140 to 160 .

So pls advise i need go for medication or not? I feel that i should be able to control with diet.

Appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi,
One month back suddenly i started losing weight 75 kg to 67 Kg.

Blood test revealed that I have Type 2 and HB A1C is 13.1.

I took metaformin 500mg -2 times a day for almost 20 days i stopped because of i am loosing weight further.

I changed my diet for 1 month and tested HB A1C is 10.6.

Currently i stopped Medication and eating very less salt, oil. i am using Accu-check active meter to test blood sugar - Fasting 106 after food (2 hours) - 140 to 160 .

Controlled diet and No exercise my readings are below:
Fasting: 106
After Food : 140 to 160 .

So pls advise i need go for medication or not? I feel that i should be able to control with diet.

Appreciate your comments.
Congratulations on your weight loss and your hard work to get your numbers down. Was your Dr ok with you stopping your meds already? Your fasting is not too bad but your post postprandial numbers are still pretty high. Its best to aim for below 140 by that 2 hour mark. Maybe try cutting back on your carbs a bit more might help.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello and welcome to Diabetes Forum! Your numbers are good, but we should not tell you whether to use medicine. Your doctor should make that decision. Do you need to lose more weight, or are you pleased with your present weight? The type 2 diabetics I know use both diet and exercise to have good, stable blood sugar levels. Is there any particular reason why you are not getting exercise? With both diet and exercise you probably would not need medication, but your doctor will have to make that decision. Good luck to you in the months ahead!

Richard

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can any one explain me how excercise help to reduce post postprandial numbers .

Now I am planning go for NO Salt and Oil food for 1 month completely .

My daily rotinue as follows :

6AM
1 lit Water.

7:30AM
Vegtable Juice - 1 glass( Min 3 Diff types of veg)

8AM
Sprouts , or Boiled food or OATs

11AM
1 Liter water

12AM
Brown Rice , Less Salt and Oil Curry .

3PM
1 Liter water

4PM
Sprouts or Fruits

6PM
1 Lit water

7PM
Brown Rice or wheat
Curry with NO SALT and OIL

9PM
1Guava or 1apple

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome to our community. One of the ways exercise helps reduce our blood sugars is that working muscles require more glucose than relaxed muscles, and even after exercise they continue using up glucose. Regular moderate exercise is a major assist in keeping our levels lower.

As regards salt, oil and your other main diet component - carbs - I think the carbs are hurting you more than the salt or oil either one. Carbohydrate is the nutrient that raises blood sugar. Fat & oils do not raise blood sugar. Protein can raise blood sugar, but slightly and slowly. The rice, wheat and fruit in your diet is what will keep your blood sugar elevated. I agree with Onaughmae that cutting back on your carbs a bit more might help.

If you and your doctor agreed that you should stop your medication, then I have no argument with that, but I will say that 20 days is not long enough for metformin to properly accumulate in your blood stream and do its job of increasing insulin sensitivity.

Relative to your HBA1c test, that is quite some change in only 1 month's time. The HBA1c gives a prolonged picture of your glycated hemoglobin (roughly 90 days), and taking it at shorter intervals is normally not indicated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Richard,

I am planning to start Now for Morning around 30 mins ( walking + Running ) .Evening around 20 min.

I am 173cm and weight 65 now .I dont want to lose further .

Pls advise me about excercise and diet .

Thanks,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.