The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome to our community. One of the ways exercise helps reduce our blood sugars is that working muscles require more glucose than relaxed muscles, and even after exercise they continue using up glucose. Regular moderate exercise is a major assist in keeping our levels lower.

As regards salt, oil and your other main diet component - carbs - I think the carbs are hurting you more than the salt or oil either one. Carbohydrate is the nutrient that raises blood sugar. Fat & oils do not raise blood sugar. Protein can raise blood sugar, but slightly and slowly. The rice, wheat and fruit in your diet is what will keep your blood sugar elevated. I agree with Onaughmae that cutting back on your carbs a bit more might help.

If you and your doctor agreed that you should stop your medication, then I have no argument with that, but I will say that 20 days is not long enough for metformin to properly accumulate in your blood stream and do its job of increasing insulin sensitivity.

Relative to your HBA1c test, that is quite some change in only 1 month's time. The HBA1c gives a prolonged picture of your glycated hemoglobin (roughly 90 days), and taking it at shorter intervals is normally not indicated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts