Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

a few months ago I posted an inquiry asking if people thought I had diabetes. Everyone was very nice and answered what they thought I should do. I ended up getting an HbA1C test and it came out normal according to my doctor. Now I didn't ask for my number because I was so happy. Fast forward a few months and I am still experiencing symptoms of frequent urination and numb hands/feet (though i guess i can attribute this to the fact I tend to sleep on my hands at night or stay in one position. Also since i was small my veins tend to show through which is normal in my family). Anyways what worries me the most is the frequent urination. I guess, even with the diagnosis of normal I am still worried about diabetes to the point where eating anything makes me feel guilty. I have even been checking the carbs in everything excessively. I am 19 years old, no history in either side of family, 5'1" and 120 pounds, and my diet is not exactly healthy though I am trying especially since I am a picky eater who doesn't really like much variety.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Go somewhere and buy a cheap blood glucose meter and start testing.

There is no way that asking us is going to give you a definitive answer, for two reasons.

1. We cannot, and will not diagnose.
2. Without numbers all is guesswork.

I also seem to recall that you were advised that it might be wise to discontinue the "picky eater" business.

Reactions: macksvicky

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
What was the numeric value of your HbA1c? Normal lies in the range 4.3% to 5.7% but frankly any value above 5% is suspect.

There are two things you could consider.

First discuss the issue again with your doctor. Perhaps an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test will provide more information and allow him to reassure you.

You might also consider buying a blood glucose meter and carrying out a series of tests over a couple of weeks following the ideas here - How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

The final point is that your diet is critical - Perhaps you might review the information here - LCHF for Beginners - Diet Doctor where you will find a healthy diet that works for all of us but is particularly useful for anyone who has issues with blood sugar.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
It would help if we knew the results of your HbA1c test. Your doctor should be able to give you the number, perhaps by phone. S/he may even agree to additional tests.

That said ... the HbA1c test only provides a 3-month average. It does not tell the whole story.

You need to know what's happening with your glucose upon awakening, 1 and 2 hours after meals/snacks, and at bedtime to get a better picture.

Glucose meters and test strips can be bought over-the-counter at most drugstores. (You may have high spikes and deep lows, and still have a 3-month average that looks good, but hides some real issues.)

Did your doctor have anything to say about the numbness and frequent urination? Some non-diabetic conditions can cause these symptoms as well, and they do need to be checked out.

Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tingle/numbness is not much concern because it doesn't happen that much and I can always pin point why. For the frequent urination I also got to say that since the diagnosis of normal the frequency happens for few weeks right after period, and then it dies down and then starts up again closer to my period. I will call my doctor tomorrow to ask for the number.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
As earlier advised, we cannot 'guess' without frequent premeal and fasting blood sugar readings. You also might do some 1 hour after you start eating and 2 hours after you start eating....then we might has some clues.

Other very common symptoms are very thirsty, does water taste like the best thing in the world and you are always needing more?

Are you losing weight?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rarely and nope. I just, I guess I just don't want to get a meter because go to my local pharmacy will cost me 100+ cdn $ (I inquired around) and buying it online would in fact make my parents more worried (all year I have been vaguely ill, I thought I had colon cancer cause my bowel movements were off and I was bleeding - this was due to antibiotics taken for a cough that lasted two months and hemorrhoids and then this beginning when I was stressed out with school and what was happening)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We have several Canadian members who can prob'ly help you figure out how to get a meter, because if you are diagnosed as diabetic, you MUST have a meter - no ifs, ands or buts.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Please go back to see your doctor. Frequent urination and tingling hands are not necessarily diabetes.

In the thread you started in April, we suggested that you purchased a meter and suggested where to buy it. It is obvious from your post here that you did not do so.

This site can not give medical advice.

Thread closed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.