The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been having some symptoms which are common to both diabetes and panic attacks. For a couple of days, I was really dehydrated. I've also been a bit lethargic and "out of it." Not anything serious, just not feeling quite right. I'm also very anxious, with sweaty hands and such. The reason I think it might be a sort of panic or anxiety is that I'm TERRIFIED of diabetes. I am mildly hypoglecemic, and last week I had a couple times where I felt a big loss of energy after a large, carb-loaded meal. I think those episodes might have freaked me out, and actually brought on the dehydration and "out of it" feelings. Here's my problem: I just returned home to the US after living abroad for a year (maybe new diet, new climate having something to do with it?) and I don't yet have insurance. I have to have a physical to get approved for the insurance I just applied for, so I'm going to get at least a blood test, but I don't think I can afford to pay for lots of other tests out of pocket right now. I just don't know what my risk factors are. Yes, I was diagnosed for hypoglycemia 7-8 years ago, and while I'm lean and mostly healthy, I haven't lived by the no-carbs no-starches ever diet, either. But I also think my symptoms could be explained by change in climate/diet and/or anxiety. I'm just wondering if it'd worth it for me to go to an endocrinologist or to have a glucose test with no insurance. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Lately I've been having some symptoms which are common to both diabetes and panic attacks. For a couple of days, I was really dehydrated. I've also been a bit lethargic and "out of it." Not anything serious, just not feeling quite right. I'm also very anxious, with sweaty hands and such. The reason I think it might be a sort of panic or anxiety is that I'm TERRIFIED of diabetes. I am mildly hypoglecemic, and last week I had a couple times where I felt a big loss of energy after a large, carb-loaded meal. I think those episodes might have freaked me out, and actually brought on the dehydration and "out of it" feelings. Here's my problem: I just returned home to the US after living abroad for a year (maybe new diet, new climate having something to do with it?) and I don't yet have insurance. I have to have a physical to get approved for the insurance I just applied for, so I'm going to get at least a blood test, but I don't think I can afford to pay for lots of other tests out of pocket right now. I just don't know what my risk factors are. Yes, I was diagnosed for hypoglycemia 7-8 years ago, and while I'm lean and mostly healthy, I haven't lived by the no-carbs no-starches ever diet, either. But I also think my symptoms could be explained by change in climate/diet and/or anxiety. I'm just wondering if it'd worth it for me to go to an endocrinologist or to have a glucose test with no insurance. What do you think?
I have terrible anxiety and panic attacks. When I go hypo, I get light headed and sometimes I shake and get nauseated. I am leaning towards the hypo unawareness issue right now. But I have experienced both the anxiety/panic and going hypo and some of the symptoms are the same. As far as going to an endo or having the glucose test, that is a tough call, I am not sure what I would do.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Be careful and try to not get dehydrated. Being dehydrated causes of host of problems.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If cost of going to the doctor and having a lot of lab work work is an issue right now, you might consider getting a meter and checking your blood sugar at home for now. Walmart has one that is relatively inexpensive (I think less than 20 dollars) and the test strips for it are very reasonable. At least by doing that you would have some information to take with you to the doctor. I would recommend testing before meals and an hour or two after meals to see whats going on. If anything, it may give you some peace of mind...its always better to know whats going on in our bodies :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome to our forum, floreezie. You're seeing very good advice here, and I have very little to add - I agree with what's already been said. It's important that you stay hydrated, and that you get a meter so you can begin to know where you are in this. I know so little about hypoglycemia, but I do know there is no reason to be terrified of diabetes. It is an unfortunate thing that happens to some of us, but it can be controlled and it is not a death sentence.

What you might want to do is see if there is a free clinic anywhere near you. I was uninsured for many years, and took advantage of a free clinic when I needed labs done - those blood tests are SO expensive!

Thank you for joining us and please come often - tell us more about yourself. We are here to support each other and you too!

take care,

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I forgot to address the issue of you being terrified of having diabetes. It is an serious disease, but if you watch your blood sugar and control what you can, it might not seem so terrible. I really don't let going hypo bother me, I have dropped as low as 23 but was able to bring my bs back up with some fast acting carbs. The first couple of times that I went low, it scared me and my reaction was not called for. If you have been unconscious during a hypo then you probably would worry when you think you might be going in that direction again. Hang in there!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts